Rhodes University Multilingual Short Story Competition UKhuphiswano: Ibali elifutshane elineelwimi ezininzi: Meertalige KortverhaalwedstrydDate Released: Tue, 16 April 2013 14:07 +0200
The Rhodes University Language Committee is engaged in a project to raise awareness on campus about multilingualism in Higher Education in South Africa. As part of this project a colloquium will take place on 15 May 2013 in Eden Grove Blue at 6pm. All are welcome to attend and participate.
Also as part of this project, a multilingual short story competition is being launched.
- Entrants need to write a short story in two or more of the official languages of the province (English, IsiXhosa, Afrikaans and Sesotho).
- The story should focus on the theme of language and identity.
- The story should display the author's linguistic and literary competence in two or more of the province's official languages i.e. the story should not be predominantly in one language with just a few words of a second language included.
- Entrants must be full time Rhodes University students.
- The maximum length of the story is 1000 words.
- The closing date for entries is 05 May 2013.
- Send all entries to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject heading clearly marked as Multilingual Short Story Competition. Include your full name and student number.
- The winner will receive a cash prize of R1000.00.
- The winner will be announced at the colloquium on 15 May 2013.
- The winner will then read their winning story to the audience and be presented with their prize.
A further two stories will be selected for display outside Eden Grove Blue on the evening of 15 May.
For further information please contact:
Dr Sam Naidu (email@example.com)
Prof Russell Kaschula (Chair, RU Language Committee)