Dr Samson Khene
BSc, BSc(Hons), MSc, PhD(Rhodes), PGDHE
Lecturer in Physical Chemistry
Tel: +27 46 603 7437; Secretary+27 46 6038255/4; Fax: +27 46 62 25109
Postal Adress: Department of Chemistry, Rhodes University, PO Box 94, Grahamstown, 6140, SOUTH AFRICA
Courier Adrress: Room S39 Department of Chemistry, Cnr of University and Artillery Roads, Rhodes University, Grahamstown, 6140, SOUTH AFRICA.
Email Address: email@example.com
Chemistry 1 - Kinetics and Chemical Thermodynamics
Chemistry 2 - Chemical Thermodynamics
Chemistry 3 - Kinetics at a Single Molecular Level and Statistical Thermodynamics
Honours - Electrochemistry and Electrochemical Impedance Spectroscopy
- The Atmosphere and Climate - Past, Present and Future
S26, S2 and S3 Research Group 2014
Synthesis and spectroscopic characterisation of phthalocyanines and binuclear metallophthalocyanines complexes for development of electrochemical sensors and photovoltaic cells.
Techniques involved: Electrochemistry, Electrochemical Impedance spectroscopy (EIS), UV/vis Spectroscopy,Fluorescence Spectroscopy, Magnetic Circular Dichroism Spectroscopy (MCD), Time Correlated Single Photon Counting spectroscopy (TCSPC), FTIR spectroscopy, Z-scan and molecular modelling (density functional theory calculations (DFT)) are some of the methods employed in this research.
1. Asanda Saba
3. Peter Kabwe
5. Z. Makhinde
1) K. E. Sekhosana, E. Amuhaya, S. Khene, T. Nyokong, Synthesis, photophysical and nonlinear optical behavior of neodymium based trisphthalocyanine Inorganica Chimica Acta, 2014, Inpress
2) Sanusi Kayode, Samson Khene, Tebello Nyokong, Enhanced optical limiting performance in phthalocyanine-quantum dot nanocomposites by free-carrier absorptionmechanism, optical material 2014.
3) Qinggang He, Gang Wu, Ke Liu, Samson Khene, Tawanda Mugadza, Elise Deunf, Tebello Nyokong, and Shaowei Chen, Effects of redox mediator on the catalytic activity of iron porphyrins towards oxygen reduction in acidic media, ChemElectroChem, 2014,1,1508-1515
4) He, Qinggang; Li, Qing; Khene, Samson; Ren, Xiaoming; López-Suárez, Franz; Lozano-Castello, Dolores; Bueno-López, Agustín; Wu, Gang, High-Loading Cobalt Oxide Coupled With Nitrogen-Doped Graphene for Oxygen-Reduction in Anion Exchange Membrane Alkaline Fuel Cells, J. Physical Chemistry C, 2013, 117, 8697- 8707.
5) Jonathan Britton, Mahmut Durmu?, Samson Khene, Vongani Chauke and Tebello Nyokong,Third order nonlinear optical properties of phthalocyanines in the presence nanomaterials and in polymer thin films J. Porphyrins Phthalocyanines, 2013,17, 691
6) K.E Sekhosana, E. Antunes, S. Khene, S. D'Souza and T. Nyokong, Fluorescence behavior of glutathione capped CdTe@ZnS quantum dots chemically coordinated to zinc octacarboxy phthalocyanines. Journal of Luminescence, 2013,136, 255-264.
7) Oluwasesan Adegoke, Samson Khene and Tebello Nyokong, Fluorescence “Switch on” of Conjugates of CdTe@ZnS Quantum Dots with Al, Ni and Zn Tetraamino-Phthalocyanines by Hydrogen Peroxide: Characterization and Applications as Luminescent Nanosensors, Journal of Fluorescence, 2013, 23, 963-974
8) Adeniyi S. Ogunlaja, Samson Khene, Edith Antunes , Tebello Nyokong, Nelson Torto, Zenixole R.Tshentu. The development of catalytic oxovanadium(IV)-containing microspheres for the oxidation of various organosulfur compounds, Applied Catalysis A, 2013, 157-767
9) Samson Khene, Tebello Nyokong , Single walled carbon nanotubes fuctionalized with nickel phthalocyanines: Effects of point of substitution and nature of functionalization on the electro-oxidation of 4-chlorophenol, J. Porphyrins Phthalocyanines; 2012, 16, 130-139
10) S. Khene, T. Nyokong, Redox activity of CdTe quantum dots linked to nickel tetraaminophthalocyanine: Effects of adsorption versus electrodeposition on the catalytic oxidation of chlorophenols, International Journal of Nanoscience 2012, 11 (2).
11) R. Zugle, E. Antunes, S. Khene, Tebello Nyokong, Photooxidation of 4-chlorophenol sensitized by lutetium tetraphenoxy phthalocyanine anchored on electrospun polystyrene polymer fiber, Polyhedron, 2012, 33, 74-81
12) I. A. Akinbulu, S. Khene, T. Nyokong, Surface properties of self-assembled monolayer films of tetra-substituted cobalt, iron and manganese alkylthio phthalocyanine complexes Electrochimica acta, 2010, 55, 7085-7093.
13) Shimizu, Soji; Miura, Akito; Khene, Samson; Nyokong, Tebello; Kobayashi, Nagao, Chiral 1,2-Subnaphthalocyanines J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2011, 133(43), 17322-17328.
14) Samson Khene, Sharon Moeno , Tebello Nyokong, Voltammetry and electrochemical impedance spectroscopy of gold electrodes modified with CdTe quantum dots and their conjugates with nickel tetraamino phthalocyanine, Polyhedron, 2011, 30, 2162- 2170
15) Samson Khene, Tebello Nyokong, Redox activity of CdTe quantum dots linked to nickel tetraaminophthalocyanine: Effects of adsorption versus electrodeposition on the catalytic oxidation of chlorophenols, Microchemical journal, 2011, 99, 478-485
16) Samson Khene, Tebello Nyokong, Electrooxidation of Chlorophenols Catalyzed by Nickel Octadecylphthalocyanine Adsorbed on Single-Walled Carbon Nanotubes, Electroanalysis, 2011, 23, 1901-1911
17) Reama C.George, Tawanda Mugadza, Samson Khene, Gabriel O. Egharevba,Tebello Nyokong, Porphyrin Nanorods Modified Glassy Carbon Electrode for the Electrocatalysis of Dioxygen, Methanol and Hydrazine, Electroanalysis, 2011, 23,1699-1708.
18) S. Khene, K. Lobb, Nyokong, Interaction between nickel hydroxyl phthalocyanine derivatives with p-chlrophenol: linking electrochemistry experiments with theory, Electrochimica Acta, 2010, 56, 706-716
19) I. A. Akinbulu, S. Khene, T. Nyokong, The effects of point of substitution on the
formation of manganese phthalocyanine-based molecular materials: Surface characterization and electrocatalysis, 2010, Thin Solid Films, 2010, 519, 911-918.
20) S. Moeno, E. Antunes, S. Khene, C. Litwinski, T. Nyokong, The effect of substituents on the photoinduced energy transfer between CdTe quantum dots and mercapto substituted zinc phthalocyanine derivatives Dalton Trans. 2010, 39(14), 3460-3471
21) S. Khene, K. Lobb, Nyokong, Characterisation of nickel tetrahydroxy phthalocyanine complexes and the electrocatalytic oxidation of 4-chlorophenol: Correlation of theory with experiments, Electrochimica Acta, 2009, 362, 5055-5063.
22) Samson Khene, Daniela. A. Geraldo, Chamunorwa A. Togo, Janice Limson,Tebello Nyokong, Synthesis, Electrochemical studies of tetra- and octa- Substituted dodecylmercapto tin phthalocyanine in solution and self assembled monolayers(SAMs), Electrochimica Acta, 2008, 54, 183-191.
23) Samson Khene, Ambimbola, Ogunsipe, Edith Antunes and Tebello Nyokong, Microwave synthesis and photophysics of new tetrasulfonated tin(II) macrocycles J. Porphyrins Phthalocyanines, 2007,11, 109-117.
24) Samson Khene, Andrew N. Cammidge, Michael J. Cook, Tebello Nyokong, Electrochemical and photophysical characterisation of octasubstituted tin(IV) phthalocyanines and tetrabenzotriazaporphyrins, J. Porphyrins Phthalocyanine, 2007; 11; 761-770
Last Modified :Wed, 11 Nov 2015 15:31:31 SAST