Head of the Department: Prof N Torto
Course Coordinator: Prof GM Watkins (email@example.com)
GENERAL CONDITIONS(1) Admission to the final examinations of the Honours course is subject to satisfactory performance in all parts of the course during the year.
(2) The Chemistry Department expects Honours students to act as Demonstrators and Tutors (as part of their Graduate Assistantship duties, or for payment, as appropriate). Demonstrating and tutoring provide valuable teaching experience. Funding for Graduate Assistantships is limited and may not always be available.
(3) Permission is needed to study any other courses during the year or to take up any other form of employment.
(1) Must attend all chosen lectures
(2) Must attend all seminars in the Chemistry Department
(3) Must do the project while not in lectures
Each student is responsible for financing his or her studies.
Estimated fees for Honours (2011):
Academic deposit: R 450.00 Deposits are made with first application
Residence deposit: R 550.00 and then included in total fees.
Tuition fee: R26 900.00
Residence fee R32 600.00 – 43 600.00 (Postgrad Village or MSc and
Minimum initial payment (by 16th January): R29 600.00 (Residence plus Tuition for SA
students only) Balance of fees due by 31 May. Foreign students - full tuition &
residence fees to be paid in full prior to 21st January.
IMPORTANT DATES FOR THE HONOURS COURSE:
Tuesday, 8th February, 2011 at 9.00 in F29 (Chemistry Tea Room)
Mid-year Exam: June
Re-write failed June questions: 1st Friday of 3rd term
Final Examination: November
Practical Work Start: Beginning of 1st term
End: End of 3rd term (AT THE LATEST)
Presentation of project plan Beginning of 1st term (21st Feb)
Hand in first draft 1st day of 4th term (19th September)
Hand in final version Middle of 4th term (16th October)
Mid year group seminar Last week of 2nd term
End of project Seminar Middle of October (17th October)(Submit 3 copies of one
page report of the project to the honours coordinator
before the seminars)
Oral presentation Mid October (12th& 13th)
Start Beginning of 1st term
Hand in first draft 4th May
Seminars Near end of 2nd term (25th May)
Hand in final version (including End of 2nd term (24th June)
Summary of submission and presentation dates (by Term):
First term: · Presentation of project plan
Second term: · Mid year exam
· Mid year group project seminars
· Oral presentation of essays
· Hand in 1st draft and final version of essay
Third term: · Re-write failed June exam questions
Fourth term: · Hand 1st draft and final version of project report
· Project seminars
· Oral examinations of project
Honours Booklet 2012: