|Courtenay_Latimer Hall Coat of Arms
Coats of Arms are historical “logos”. Those of Courtenay-Latimer Hall were designed by Prof. Hugh Smith for what was known as Oriel Hall; he also compiled the brief history reproduced here (1984).
THE COAT OF ARMS OF COURTENAY-LATIMER HALL
This coat of arms is an adaptation of the coat of arms of Oriel College in the University of Oxford - the college of which Cecil John Rhodes was a student. The coat of arms of Oriel College consists of three lions passant guardant on a red field within an engrailed red border. For the Courtenay-Latimer Hall coat of arms this has been changed to a gold lion rampant on a blue field within a gold engrailed (scalloped) border. The Hall coat of arms contains two escallops (shells) taken from the Rhodes University coat of arms, and one of the chargers from each of the coats of arms of the Houses in the Hall.
THE COATS OF ARMS OF THE HOUSES
These three coats of arms are of a uniform design, the shield being divided ‘per cherron’ – i.e. in a ^ shape. The partition line between the gold upper portion and the lower coloured portion is engrailed to emphasise the connection between the Houses and the Hall. Each House coat of arms also has two escallops in its design, again recalling that the house is part of Courtenay-Latimer Hall, and further also part of Rhodes University.
|Beit House Coat of Arms
It is uncertain whether Beit House is named after Alfred Beit or Otto Beit. It was thus not possible to take any device from the arms of either. However, both Alfred and Otto were most generous financially in the field of education, and the gold torch (symbolic of education and enlightenment) recalls this. The two gold coins (bezants) on the black field recall the association of the Beits with the gold mining industry.
|Jameson House Coat of Arms
The coat of arms of Jameson House has as its principal charge a silver mace on a red field. This recalls that Sir Leander Starr Jameson was the Prime Minister of the house of Assembly of the Cape of Good Hope (1914 – 1908). (The mace is typically a symbol of Parliament or parliamentary government). The thistle recalls that Jameson was born in Scotland; and it is balanced by a fleur-de-lys taken from the coat of arms of the Cape of Good Hope.
|Oriel House Coat of Arms
The coat of arms of Oriel House has as its principal charge a flying golden oriole – a pun on the name of the House and of the bird. This is called ‘canting heraldry’ and is a common feature of heraldic design. The flames in base recall that Oriel House was built during the Great War (1914-1918) and the whole may be seen as a bird of hope and peace flying over the flames of war, as well as of the faith of those who built the House when men were busy destroying.
Last Modified: Wed, 17 May 2017 11:16:18 SAST