Celeste was built in the 1960’s, but only became part of Rhodes University, as a Residence, in Drostdy Hall, from 2007.
It was a residence for undergrads, males and females, in 2007 and 2008, accommodated in single and double rooms. The females were placed on the top floor, and the males placed on the middle and bottom floors. In 2007 there were a total of 51 students, 20 females and 31 males. In 2008 there were a total of 40 students, 16 females and 24 males.
Celeste House became a residence for 32 postgraduates from 2009, for 19 females and 13 males, all in single rooms. Females are accommodated on the top and bottom floors and the males are accommodated on the middle floor.
Celeste House accommodates postgraduate students, males and females.
Celeste House is located on the corner of African and Somerset Streets and is approximately a five minute walk from campus and is very close to town. Flats have two or three students per flat in single rooms. The block is mixed gender but each flat is single gender. Celeste House comprises three floors. Male students are accommodated on the middle floor and female students are accommodated on the top and bottom floors.
Students accepted into Celeste may reside in their Units from 8 January to 31 December.
Celeste House is overseen by a Warden who resides in the residence, as well as one male and one female Sub-Warden, who are Rhodes students and live in the residence. They operate “open door policies” and are available to attend to any concerns of residents on a regular basis. A House Committee is elected each year.
Meals are provided in the Drostdy Dining Hall. Should students wish to make use of the self-catering facilities in the 3 communal kitchens from time to time, they have to unbook their meals. Un-booked meals will be refunded to students’ fee accounts at the end of each semester: see the fees booklet for more information.
- Each flat has its own bathroom consisting of a shower and basin, with a separate toilet. This is shared between 2 or 3 students.
- Each room has a wardrobe, desk, chair, lamp, bed & mattress, heater, waste paper bin, & curtains.
- Linen is provided by Housekeeping: a sheet, a duvet and duvet cover, a blanket, two pillows and two pillowcases & mattress cover. There is a linen change once a week, on a Monday from 13h00 to 14h00. Students can bring their own linen but they are then responsible for the laundering.
- Two common rooms with comfortable couches and a communal DStv facility (with some channels).
- Three communal kitchens with appliances (microwave oven, stove and fridge)
- One communal laundry room facility (3 washing machines, 3 tumble driers, washing and drying areas)
- Students can connect to ResNet/WiFi (internet access) in their room, and get support from a fellow res student, the Networking House Rep, in this regard. Printing facilities are also available in the Residence (one communal printer in common room) and it is charged on each student’s printing balance found online on the Rhodes University Student Support System (ROSS). There are also two communal computers, one in each common room.
Celeste Students to provide their own: crockery, cutlery, pots & pans, cooking utensils (if planning to use communal kitchens), AND coffee mugs, kettle, jug, tray, teaspoons, glasses, iron, coat hangers, an alarm clock and a torch (as no candles are permitted).