Graham House was built in 1940 and officially opened to the first batch of students in 1941-April 24th. It was to be the first resident of the newly built, Drostdy Hall (the first hall to cater for inter-res social meetings between male and female students). The house accommodated 54 male students.
The House was named Graham, in honour of the memory of Mr Francis Graham, a former Magistrate of Albany (District in which Grahamstown falls under) and second chairman of the College (University, as it was refered to then) council.
Information obtained from:
Scrapbook, 11 January 1939 to 4 November 1943.
R.F Currey, Rhodes University 1904-1970, Rustica Press; Wynberg.page 59.
Graham House is home to 54 guys. We are disability friendly.