Building evacuation is required when it is no longer safe or potentially unsafe to remain inside a building. The procedure would be based on the FIRE-GEAR evacuation template below, and would take place as follows:
1. An evacuation will occur when the fire alarm sounds and/or notification is received by the CPU, the relevant Building Emergency Coordinator, Makana Municipality Fire Department, or the SA Police Services.
2. Building occupants must leave the building by the nearest marked exit and alert others to do the same.
3. Individuals with mobility, hearing or sight challenges should be assisted in exiting the building.
4. Elevators should not be used to evacuate the building.
Diagrams showing evacuation routes should be mounted on the passage walls on each floor.
5. Once outside the building, individuals should proceed to the designated Emergency Assembly Point.
Streets, fire lanes, hydrants, and walkways should be kept clear for emergency vehicles and personnel.
6. The relevant Building Emergency Coordinator will take roll at the designated Emergency Assembly Point to check if all occupants have exited the building.
7. Occupants should not return to the building until directed to do so by CPU (via the HOD / Manager / Building Emergency Coordinator).
Last Modified: Thu, 07 Aug 2014 14:44:12 SAST