Building Emergency Coordinator
Building Emergency Coordinators should wear a reflective bib that is provided in the emergency kit for easy identification. Upon the activation of a fire alarm, Building Emergency Coordinators should follow the University’s FIRE-GEAR evacuation template (see 3.5.3) and carry out the following procedures.
- Contact the CPU.
- Raise the alarm to alert all occupants about the emergency condition.
- If safe to do so, take immediate action to contain the emergency.
- Assist in evacuating personnel from the building. Ensure that lifts/elevators are not used.
- When building is evacuated, take roll at the designated Emergency Assembly Point to check if all occupants have exited the building.
- Where appropriate, distribute first aid kits and direct trained first aiders to persons in need.
- Notify CPU personnel at the scene of emergency if there are any casualties.
- When notified by the Fire Department that it is safe to do so, inform building occupants that they may re-enter the building.
Last Modified: Mon, 11 Aug 2014 11:18:50 SAST