Upon receiving information of a telecommunications failure, all affected University staff and students should:
- Check other methods of communication that could normally be used instead of the telephone, such as:
- Emergency phones (see table above)
- Cell phones (mobile phones) – including privately owned ones.
- Public call boxes / pay phones
- Wireless Internet connection
Note: many cell phones have a radio receiver – it may be possible that announcements will be made via local radio stations.
- Follow simple set of standing instructions issued to members of the wider University community outlining What to do in an Emergency (see Appendices – A).
- Contact your Building Emergency Coordinator to obtain information regarding the status of the failure, and assist him/her as required.
Last Modified :Thu, 14 Aug 2014 10:45:23 SAST