Rhodes > Emergency Management > Emergency Management > Key Emergency Management Focus Areas (Part Two) > Infectious Disease Epidemic > Health Care Centre
Health Care Centre
Upon diagnosing a University employee or student with a communicable infectious disease, the responsibilities of the Health CareCentre are as follows:
- Implement infection control policies and procedures that help limit the spread a disease on campus (e.g. promotion of hand hygiene, cough/sneeze etiquette). Encourage students and staff to get appropriate vaccines, where available.
- Procure, store and provide sufficient and accessible infection prevention supplies (e.g. soap, alcohol-based hand hygiene products, tissues and receptacles for their disposal).
- Treat the patient in an isolated room in the centre, until no longer infectious.
- Notify the local Department of Health (Makana sub-district) and enter details in the HCC notification book.
- Inform the Dean of Students (w.r.t. students) or the manager / head of department (w.r.t. employees), as necessary.
- Take appropriate measures to contain an epidemic outbreak as applicable, and liaise with the Infection Control sister at Settler’s Hospital.
- Issue campus warning of illnesses and potential risks as applicable.
Last Modified: Fri, 15 Aug 2014 16:22:29 SAST