Upon receiving notification of a mental health incident involving a University student, the responsibilities of the Counselling Centre procedures are as follows:
- If situation is ongoing, report to scene to assist student and staff and outside agencies as appropriate.
- If assisted or involuntary care is justified, one of the psychologists at the Counselling Centre (not an intern psychologist) or a doctor should complete a MHCA 04 form – an application for involuntary assisted mental health care. Once this is done, the student should be transported to Settlers’ Hospital for a 72-hour observation period.
- If student is at hospital, visit student and confer with hospital staff to assess situation and follow up steps that will be needed once student is released from hospital.
- Maintain direct contact with the Dean of Students and Department of Health psychological care personnel as necessary.
- Contact Warden, Registrar and faculty as necessary.
- Schedule counselling sessions as needed.
- Initiate debriefing session within 72 hours of incident with students, Dean of Students.
Last Modified :Fri, 15 Aug 2014 17:54:52 SAST