Rhodes > Emergency Management > Emergency Management > Key Emergency Management Focus Areas (Part Two) > Violent Crime > Director of Student Affairs
Director of Student Affairs
Upon receiving notification of a violent crime involving a University student, the responsibilities of the Dean of Students are as follows:
- Contact the Emergency Manager and activate the Emergency Management and Response Network )
- Inform Communications and Marketing Division of the incident.
- Issue a statement on TopList and Student zone, while observing strict confidentiality, and obtain permission from the survivor about the wording before making any such statement.
- Contact the Sports Director if the student was participating in an athletic program.
- Contact the Student Bureau if the student is an international student.
- Contact the Head of department if extended absence is likely.
- As soon as possible, initiate a debriefing session and determine who should contact the family on behalf of the University.
- Contact the Counselling Centre to arrange counselling sessions, as required.
- Maintain contact with the CPU.
Last Modified: Fri, 15 Aug 2014 17:16:38 SAST