My research interest lies specifically with the linguistics and psycholinguistics of literacy in African languages. Beyond Linguistics I have lectured the Language and Literacy Module (year 1-3) for the Rhodes University Centre of Social Development. I am also involved in partnership with the Grahamstown Lebone Centre in collaborating and delivering classroom library workshops to the Grahamstown Schools.
- Linguistics 1 Language in Childhood and Education
- Linguistics 2 & 3 Psycholinguistics
- Linguistics 2 & 3 Linguistics and Community
- Professional Communication
- Postgraduate Psycholinguistics of Literacy in South Africa
- 2019: Probert, T. A comparison of the early reading strategies of isiXhosa and Setswana first language learners. South African Journal of Childhood Education, 9(1), a643. https://sajce.co.za/index.php/sajce/article/view/643/980
- 2016: Probert, T. & De Vos, M. Word recognition strategies amongst isiXhosa/ English bilingual learners: The interaction of orthography and language of learning and teaching. Reading & Writing Journal of Reading Association of South Africa, 7(1), a84. http://dx.doi. org/10.4102/rw.v7i1.84
- 2016: Bennett, W., Diemer, M., Kerford, J., Probert, T. and Wesi, T. Setswana (South African). Journal of the International Phonetic Association, 46 (2), pp. 235-246. http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/S0025100316000050
- 2016: A comparative study of syllables and morphemes as literacy processing units in word recognition: isiXhosa and Setswana. 2016 LSSA/SAALA/SAALT Joint Annual Linguistic Conference at University of the Western Cape, Cape Town, June 2016.
- 2015: Syllables and morphemes as literacy processing units in word-recognition: isiXhosa and Setswana. 2015 LSSA/SAALA/SAALT Joint Annual Linguistic Conference at North West University, Potchefstroom, June 2015.
- 2014: Transfer of word recognition strategies from a transparent to an opaque orthography. 2014 LSSA/SAALA/SAALT Joint Annual Linguistic Conference at University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, June 2014.
- 2014: The effects of orthography and language of literacy: transfer of word recognition strategies amongst isiXhosa/English Bilinguals. Reading Association of South Africa 9th Annual Conference 2014 at Rhodes University, Grahamstown, September 2014.
Last Modified: Thu, 11 Apr 2019 15:54:12 SAST