Environmental Reps at Rhodes University
RU Environmental Reps play an important role in promoting sustainability on campus.URGENT REMINDER: Environmental Representatives PLEASE assist Wardens with enforcing strict water saving measures - as per the RU RESIDENCE WATER OUTAGE PROTOCOL!
Click on the links below to find out more.
- Enviro Reps Resources
- Enviro Reps Support Networks
- Enviro Reps Leadership
- Enviro Reps Roles and Responsibilities
1.1 Grab this!
Enviro Reps Guide - to help Enviro Reps be successful in their role.
RU Environmental Awareness: download this PowerPoint presentation to show fellow students.
RU Environmental Sustainability Policy: download for more detail.
1.2 To support environmental activities
a. Water-wise resources:
TIPS FOR SAVING WATER: "RU Water-Wise"
HOW TO HARVEST CLEAN RAINWATER: "Rainwater Harvesting Info"
HOW TO CARE FOR YOUR RAINWATER TANK: "Rain Tank Care Info"
MORE INFO ON WATER: "Water Info"
b. Water test kit resources:
c. Waste-wise resources:
HOW TO RECYCLE AT RU: "Grounds Waste & Recycling Services"
HAZARDOUS WASTE & WHERE TO DISPOSE OF IT SAFELY: "Hazmat"
CIGARETTE BUTT DISPOSAL: "Smoking"
TIPS FOR RECYCLING: "Recycling Waste"
TIPS FOR WORM FARMING: "Worm Farming"
d. Energy-wise resources:
TIPS FOR SAVING ELECTRICITY: "Energy"
e. Travel-wise resources:
f. Biodiversity resources:
INFO ABOUT BIODIVERSITY: "Biodiversity"
g. Food-wise resources:
INFO ABOUT FOOD: "Food"
h. Worm farming:
INFO ABOUT WORMS: "Worm farming"
i. Additional Sustainability Resources [click on link]
SRC Environmental Councillor: srcenvironmental(at)ru.ac.za
Enviro Reps WhatsApp group: Message SRC Environmental Councillor to be added to the group (give your Name and Hall!), ALL Environmental Reps welcome!
Enviro Reps Facebook Page: ALL Environmental Reps welcome to join!
Enviro Reps Mailing List: a platform for keeping in touch with the SRC Environmental Councillor and for emailing useful ideas and information to each other. To subscribe, email List Administrator on enviroreps-request(at)lists.ru.ac.za
Campus and Community Environment Mailing list: a platform for keeping in touch and getting involved in wider community environmental issues and activities. To subscribe, email List Administrator on Environment-request(at)lists.ru.ac.za
- SRC Environmental Councillor [srcenvironmental(at)ru.ac.za] should support Enviro Reps, and:
- Represent the SRC on the RU Environmental Committee
- Engage with the University on the implementation of RU’s Environmental Sustainability Policy
- Co-ordinates all environmental programmes on behalf of the SRC
- Promotes environmental awareness within the hall system and across campus in general
- Promotes the incorporation of environmental issues within the curriculum by liaising with the Academic Councillor
- Assists students on any initiatives relating to environmental concerns
Additional sources of Guidance:
A. Promote environmental awareness and action in your res/hall.
B. Organise and oversee environmental activities in your res/hall.
Key performance measurements
- Promote environmental awareness and action in your res/hall throughout the year.
- Ensure ongoing, efficient and effective continuation of residence water-wise and waste-wise activities (see Enviro Reps Guide), involving all residents.
- Organise at least one additional environmental project (focusing on energy/sustainable travel/biodiversity/other - see Enviro Reps Guide) during the year, and involve residents.
- Involve resident in at least two environmental events on campus (see Enviro Reps Guide).
- Report on activities at House Meetings and to the SRC Environmental Councillor (see Enviro Reps Guide).
- Hand over records of res environmental activities to next Environmental Rep before November exams.
Go to the Rhodes University ENVIRONMENT front page. Suggestions/Questions? Contact environment(at)ru.ac.za
Last Modified: Sun, 26 Aug 2018 10:56:18 SAST