Vice-Chancellor's Distinguished Senior Research Award
To stimulate research and research related scholarly activities, and to recognise an established staff member of indisputable academic status, engaged in research and more general scholarly activity.
Staff members who are over 40 years (i.e. 41 and over) of age on 31 December in the year in which they apply or are nominated.
They shall be of exceptional quality and proven achievement with sustained records of scholarship.
Nominees or applicants should normally have been employed at Rhodes University for a continuous period of at least five years (in a permanent or contract capacity), and must be a currently serving member of staff at the time of nomination or application (i.e. past staff members or Professors Emeritus who have already retired will not be eligible).
Permanent staff members may nominate candidates. Such nominations should be confidential if possible. In addition, staff members may apply to be considered.
Nominations and applications must be accompanied by:
- curriculum vitae of the nominee or applicant;
- details of publications, reviews of publications (or cited references) and other evidence of distinction;
- the names of three referees.
Considerations of Nominations
The Committee will:
- Invite referees to comment on, inter alia, whether the candidate is worthy of being considered, whether the candidate is recognised as having indisputable academic status and, in respect of publications, their quality and depth, has standing within the discipline concerned and an international and/or national profile;
- take into consideration not only the work on which candidates have established their reputations at Rhodes University, but also work done elsewhere;
- regard "research" in the broader sense to mean all creative endeavours including the performing arts and the fine arts;
- not be required to recommend an award if in its view the nominations and applications are not sufficiently meritorious to warrant an award.
Value of Award
R40 000-00 or such other amount as may be determined by the University Council on the recommendation of the Research Committee.
The total amount awarded will be subject to income tax even if transferred into a special research account.
Nominations and applications must reach the office of the DVC: Research and Development (firstname.lastname@example.org) by Friday, 29 September 2017. The recipient of the award will be announced in December 2016.
DR PETER CLAYTON
DEPUTY VICE-CHANCELLOR: RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT
01 December 2016
Last Modified :Thu, 09 Feb 2017 14:20:19 SAST