Information for 1st Years
Please read the information below carefully.
All medical aid information if you are on a Medical Aid. Information about any allergies and all relevant details.
Contact details for your next of kin in case of emergencies (including a phone number, work/home address).
Things to Bring (obviously this list is not prescriptive but suggestions from experienced Wardens and Students). Please note all of this can be bought in Grahamstown and you don’t have to bring it from home!
Rhodes University provides bed linen but you may bring your own (you will be responsible for the laundering). We provide a duvet, sheet, pillows, a blanket and curtains. They are all single beds.
- tray for kettle
- drinking mug and glass
- cereal bowl
- microwave dish
- fork, knife, spoon, can/bottle opener
- laundry basket or bag
- washing powder (for cold water washing)
- alarm clock
- radio/stereo (with headphones so as not to disturb your fellow residents)
- a computer or a laptop (If you do not have; there are Computers in the Common Rooms of each Residence as well as Labs on campus)
- hangers for clothes
- good quality multiplug extension
- exampads and clipboard
- Torch (to help when the lights go out)
Things Not to Bring
Certain household items pose a fire hazard when utilized in buildings inhabited by many people. Students are not allowed these things in the residence:
- air conditioners
- electric blankets
- coffee makers
- toasters/toaster ovens
- snackwich or waffle maker
- electric frypan
- microwave ovens
- homemade extension cords
- extension cords with joins in them
- hot plates
Each Residence has a Microwave Oven, Fridges and Washing Machines for use of the Residents at no extra charge.
Students need to pack up their rooms usually three times a year when the University uses the Residences for the Conferences. We have Box Rooms in each Residence where students may store their belongings during the vacation.
Last Modified :Wed, 03 May 2017 09:00:36 SAST