Staff arriving in the morning
A key element in the induction program is the partnership between HR and the Division/department/work area of the new member. HR will be responsible for the initial administration, facilitation and evaluation of processes and provision of support for departments, HoD’s/ managers and mentors.
The HR Generalist will perform the following activities during the induction process:
1. Communication before arrival
- HR forwards related employment documentation to the staff member, follows-up on documentation, addresses questions asked.
- Different arrangements will obviously be made for those without electronic access.
2. HR to liaise with the department re logistics
- Arrangements regarding where the new staff member will report to on the first day. It would be ideal for a new member to first report to HR for completion of relevant documentation and thereafter to the department.
- The name of the department’s representative, who will welcome the new member, needs to be confirmed by the HR Generalist.
- Confirmation of the time that the staff member can be expected in the department.
- Confirmation of the designated mentor in the department and if there are any uncertainties regarding the responsibilities.
- Reminder re logistics that need addressing e.g. office, telephone, computer, IT access etc.
3. Two weeks before arrival
- HR to forward the outline of the induction programme to the new staff member.
4. First day of arrival
- HR Generalist to welcome the new member, as agreed.
- Hand over the induction information folder.
- Verify all documentation and introduce the new member to the department, as per arrangement.
5. HR to follow-up with an induction interview after the first six months of employment
- New staff members can complete the questionnaire beforehand but HR will discuss it with the member and probe where necessary.
- Follow up on areas with the HoD where induction is incomplete or problem areas were identified.