Marc Schafer in his study
Heads of academic departments are required to manage academic as well as support staff. In this section you will find information you need to assist you in managing your staff.
People management is the joint responsibility of the Head of Department (HoD) and the HR Division as follows:
- HoDs are responsible for managing staff; and
- The HR Division is responsible for providing HoDs with the information, tools and processes to ensure effective management of staff and to provide advice and guidance in this regard.
Managing staff includes:
- Ensuring an optimal staff structure;
- Actively participating in the effective recruitment and selection of staff;
- Ensuring appropriate development of staff for current performance as well as a future job (facilitating career development);
- Ensuring optimal performance of each person as well as of the team including dealing with problematic performance;
- Motivating of staff including ensuring that staff are appropriating recognised; and
- Disciplining of staff when there has been misconduct.
Last Modified: Tue, 29 May 2012 09:52:40 SAST