Leading Support Staff
People management is the joint responsibility of the Head of Department/Section/Unit (HoD) or manager and the HR Division as follows:
- HoDs/managers are responsible for managing staff; and
- The HR Division is responsible for providing HoDs and managers with the tools and processes to ensure effective management of staff and to provide advice and guidance in this regard.
Managing staff includes:
- Ensuring an optimal staff structure;
- Actively participating in the effective recruitment and selection of staff;
- Ensuring appropriate development of staff for current performance as well as a future job (facilitating career development);
- Ensuring optimal performance of each person as well as of the team including dealing with problematic performance;
- Motivating of staff including ensuring that staff are appropriating recognised; and
- Disciplining of staff when there has been misconduct.