Probation reports required for new staff appointments will normally be requested by Human Resources one month prior to the due date.
The probation periods are as follows:
- Grades 1 to 5:6 months no report but if there are problems, please consult your HR Generalist
- Grades 6 to 9: 1 year with two reports being submitted at the end of each 6 months
- Grades 10+: 2 years with two reports being submitted at the end of each year
Probation reports use the Job Profile format. As HoD/ Manager, you are asked to comment on the staff member's exection of the Key Responsibility Areas as well as their competencies to do the job.
HoDs/ Managers are encouraged to follow the process below:
- Indicate to staff member that the probation report needs to be written and how the process will work
- Access feedback from multiple sources as regards the person's contribution e.g. colleagues, staff report to him/ her, clients, students
- Require the person to conduct a self-assessment, in writing using the Job Profile probation template sent to you from HR; ask the person to submit this self assessment to yourself;
- Using data from 2+3 above plus your own experiences and insights; write up your assessment of the person;
- Meet to discuss the assessement, explore areas of disagreement. If you are unable to agree, reflect this. offer the staff member the opportunity to respond to the report in writing.
- Submit to your HR Generalist. If necessary, seek advice from your HR Generalist
- On the basis of the probation report, draw up an Individual Development Plan. A template for such plan is provided, see attachment Individual Development Plan Template
Last Modified :Thu, 18 Sep 2014 14:04:49 SAST