SANORD WEBSITE: sanord.uwc.ac.za
Brian O’ Connell Scholarship Programme
The Partial Scholarship Funding Programme of SANORD has been renamed the “Brian O’Connell Scholarship Programme” in honour of the major contributions Prof O’Connell has made to SANORD over the years.
SANORD is committed to re-direct member fees to member institutions through a funding Programme that enhances student mobility. The scholarship programme was established to strengthen the Nordic-Southern African collaboration within SANORD.
SANORD is making available 7 partial scholarship opportunities for students from the Southern Africa institutions of higher education and research. Successful students will be required to spend 3 to 5 months at a Nordic SANORD member institution in order to engage in activities that will support the completion of the students’ Master’s degree.
Applicants should comply with the following:
1. Enrolled for mainly Master’s degrees at a SANORD member, Southern African Institution.
2. Must be willing to enhance their knowledge in order to make a contribution toward the development of Southern Africa.
3. Must be committed to return to the home institution to graduate.
4. The applicant must liaise with the SANORD Coordinator at the host university and provide a written communication of acceptance from a host university.
5. Must provide evidence that the home supervisor and the relevant Dean of the faculty is in support of the move to the host institution.
6. Must, on return connect with the home institution to share experiences gained.
7. Must be willing to sign a binding contract in line with the objectives of the programme.
8. A final report must be submitted to the central office within 2 months after the completion of the programme.
Funding will cover the following:
- A return, economy class airline ticket (booked through the Central Office).
- Visa costs
- Students must provide a budget for the costs that will be incurred and should include:
- A living allowance
- Accommodation (unless otherwise arranged by host university)
- Travel Insurance for the period
- The actual tuition fees (if applicable)
Names of the Nordic SANORD member institutions can be found on our website at
Please note: The funding provided by SANORD will be based on the guidelines set by the different
All applications to be forwarded to the Central Office for the attention of Prof D V Roberts, Central
Office Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org and copied to Maureen Davis, email@example.com .
Please note that incomplete applications will not be considered
Closing date for applications: 31 October 2014
Brian O'Connell Scholarship (Application Form)
Last Modified :Fri, 19 May 2017 14:42:54 SAST