Tertiary academic qualifications:
1979: Matriculated Strand High School
1982: B Sc Degree (Botany & Zoology)
1983: Majored in Geology & Nature Conservation
1984: B Sc Hon (Nature Conservation)
- 1985 - 1988:
- Department of Development Aid as Nature Conservation Scientist.
- 1988 - April 1997:
- Department of Water Affairs and Forestry (DWAF) as Principal Hydrologist
- May 1997-July 2002:
- Self-employed as member of IWR Environmental which is affiliated with the Institute for Water Research (IWR), Rhodes University. Also holds position of Senior Researcher in the IWR Rhodes University.
- Aug 2002 - present:
- Formed IWR: Source to Sea (sole member). Links to IWR Rhodes as above. IWR Environmental ceases to exist April 2003
Eight years experience in determining methodologies for and co-ordination of Integrated Environmental Management (IEM) procedures. Fourteen years experience in the development of methodologies for Instream Flow. Requirements and the Reserve and the application there-of. Ten years experience in the technical coordination of IFR and Reserve studies.
Research and professional interest.
Designed the Relevant Environmental Impact Prognosis (ROIP) as in the present format.
- Prepared a manual for the application of the ROIP and designed an IEM procedure.
- 1989 - 1993: Involved in the Great Brak River Estuary study - impact assessment, water requirements and monitoring.
- Coordinated IEM procedures for 4 Pre-Feasibility Studies
- Coordinated the Fishways Monitoring study during 1994 and 1995 for the Water Research Commission.
- 1991 - 1996: Established with J King the Building Block Methodology (BBM) for IFRs
- 1994 - present: Coordinated 22 IFR studies (BBM applied):
- 1996: Involved in the design and application of a flow management plan for the Fish and Sunday River systems
- 1998 - present: River Task Leader developing Resource Directed Measures in reaction to the new Water Act (1998).
- 1999 - present: Applied the different Ecological Reserve methods on various rivers.
- Co-managed the Mhlathuze Reserve Study
- Task Leader for the quantity component of the Olifants River Reserve Study and technical integrator of the study.
- Managed and coordinated the Amatole Environmental Water Requirements study.
- Managed and coordinated the Swarktops Intermediate Ecological Reserve study.
- Technical manager of the Thukela Ecological Reserve Study
- Revision of the Reserve methodologies (quantity) for the DWAF
- Technical advisor for the Reserve study on the Apies/Pienaars System.
- Managing the Mhlathuze Reserve Monitoring study
Appointed by WRC (2001) as liaison officer between DWAF and WRC re Reserve projects.
Email at Delana
Last Modified :Wed, 19 Aug 2015 12:36:59 SAST