New postgraduate programme in Media and Social BelongingDate Released: Fri, 13 October 2017 12:07 +0200
A new research programme in Media and Social Belonging is being launched in the School of Journalism and Media Studies from 2018, funded by the Andrew W Mellon Foundation. This programme proposes to focus on the complex relationships between South Africa’s changing media environment and its changing political environment. The key question it is concerned with is: What kinds of sociality are constituted by different forms of media and how do these (forms of sociality) speak to issues of social belonging and calls for social change? Our programme is framed by historical ways of being and belonging, and how these were transformed through colonialism. The foci of the programme are Coloniality, Digitality and Sociality and the interconnections between them.
This programme is available to all students wishing to undertake postgraduate study in the School from 2018. We are also offering the following bursaries:
- Five Honours bursaries at R85 000 for study in 2018.
- Five Masters bursaries at R95 000 for study over two years starting in 2018.
- Five Doctoral bursaries at R125 000 for study over three years starting in 2018.
- One Postdoc bursary at R190 000 for one year (possible renewal).
We are looking for exceptional students committed to a research career who have demonstrated critical thinking and who are committed to probing and understanding the nexus of the large political questions now current in the Global South (and specifically in Africa and South Africa); mediation in the digital age; and forms of subjectivity, agency and social belonging. Black South African and women candidates are especially sought.
To apply, please send the following documents to Ettione Ferreira at firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday 13 November 2017:
- Academic transcripts of degrees to date.
- Motivation letter for joining the programme and the level you will be applying for.
- An indication of whether you are applying for a bursary. Specify whether you are interested in joining the programme regardless of whether you will be awarded a bursary or not.
- A recent piece of academic/research writing.
Formal Rhodes University application available from http://www.ru.ac.za/postgraduategateway/