These posts are only advertised internally and only current Rhodes’ employees are eligible for these posts:
Housekeeping Internship (Internal)
1 February – 31 December 2015
23 Month Contract
As part of the University’s Internship Programme applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates for the following posts from 1st February 2015 to 31st December 2015.
These internships are aimed at Black people (as defined by the Employment Equity Act). The University in its Equity Policy (2003) makes a commitment to provide appropriate corrective measures to redress past imbalances. One of the initiatives used to achieve this aim is Internship Programmes, which provides individuals with the opportunity to enhance their knowledge and skills and to gain critical experience so that they are better placed to compete successfully for higher level posts within the Institution and other organisations.
Internship will run for a period of 23 months, which will include:
- Completion of Certificate Course in Supervision and basic Computer Literacy workshops and modules. Cleaners models, Cleaning Update and Hard Floor Training models (outsourced)
- Staff Supervision and Housekeeping Services Development Plan, broken up into sections and done by other Supervisors within the Department.
The job incumbent is required to have a Grade 12 with a minimum of 2 years’ relevant experience, where such experience includes:
- A minimum of 2 years’ cleaning experience within an industrial environment where specific hygiene and cleaning practices were implemented.
- Previous administration experience within a computerised environment
- People who have held a team leader and/or team coordination role will have an advantage
In addition, candidates need to demonstrate the following competencies
- Oral and written communication skills in English (with English - at least standard 10/grade 12). Learners must be able to cope with the demands of completing the Office Admin / Supervision course which requires that assignments be written and that learners participate in class.
- An ability to communicate verbally, with ease, in Xhosa will be advantageous
- Basic computer skills using MS Word, Excel and e-mail OR the ability to demonstrate the aptitude to learn basic computer skills (computer skills and/or the aptitude to learn these skills will be tested at the interview stage).
- Sound numerical ability (Mathematics - at least standard 7/grade 9/NQF1)
- Evidence of being able to work both in a team and independently
- Sound inter-personal skills including a sound level of assertiveness
- The ability to anticipate, solve and prevent complex problems through planning
- Sound organisational skills
- High energy levels with an ability to work after hours on assignments
- Attention to detail and a sound service ethic.
The following (internal) applicants may apply for this post:
- those who have a sound performance record in their current job (i.e. they are executing current job responsibilities to the required standard);
- those who do not have a current formal documented verbal or written disciplinary record; those who display sound work behaviors (i.e. are reliable, self-disciplined, diligent, punctual, able to take responsibility and able to work independently);
- those who are co-operative (i.e. able to work effectively in a team, willing to assist others and take on additional responsibility when necessary); and
- those who display a commitment to their own development (i.e. have engaged in education, training or development activities in the past few years, are open to feedback including criticism and are flexible and willing to change).
Application form is below or may be collected from room 223/334 in the Main Administration Building.
No CV or Certificates are required. Please complete the application form and save it with your surname as the file name. Application forms must be completed in detail otherwise it will not be considered for this post. Please return your application with a copy of your ID to Room 223/224 or send an email with the job title as the subject line to: email@example.com
Closing Date: 12h00 Thursday 27 November 2014
If you are not contacted by the 12 December please consider your application unsuccessful.
Normal salary and benefits for current job to continue as normal. Depending on difference in grades between current job and development intern post, the applica