Student Affairs’ 3-year strategy plan launchedDate Released: Wed, 5 December 2018 12:36 +0200
Director of Student Affairs, Nomangwane Mrwetyana, officially presented the Division of Student Affairs’ strategic plan for the years 2019-2021 on 27 November 2018 at Steve Biko Dining Hall.
All staff from the Division were present, and Mrwetyana expressed her heartfelt gratitude to all section heads and the wardening team for their dedication and perseverance through very trying times.
Director of Library Services Ujala Satgoor was the guest speaker, and she shared some pearls of wisdom and inspiration words with those in attendance.
Mrwetyana presented the three goals of the newly-launched strategy plan. “Our vision is to create a living and learning student support system and environment that is inclusive and conducive to academic success, through promoting a healthy lifestyle and personal growth,” she said.
The first goal was identified as, “To strengthen our ability to provide quality counselling and academic advising to students”.
“To achieve this goal, we aim to increase capacity and have adequate resources in order to most effectively coordinate assistance for students seeking short term and crisis counselling, and to provide professional, efficient and effective career counselling services to students seeking career services,” said Mrwetyana. The Division also plans to partner with external service providers to enhance service delivery.
The second goal focuses on promoting a sexually responsible citizenry and safe community within Rhodes University.
“We will continue to promote an environment free of any form of discrimination, and will work to further create and coordinate programmes, interventions, and events that promote and enable inclusive, sexually responsible citizenship,” explained Mrwetyana.
The Division also plans to increase their efforts in promoting and supporting the wellness of all students by the effective provision of primary health care and HIV/Aids and wellness programmes.
“Last but not least, our third goal is to provide enriched student experiences for all students of Rhodes University,” she said.
According to Mrwetyana, there are many actions the Division plans to undertake to achieve this goal. These include:
- To provide an environment that is conducive for living and learning.
- To promote awareness of the services offered in the Division of Student Affairs.
- The purposeful provision of programmes and initiatives that supplement and enrich the students experience holistically.
- To develop a framework that measures student perception of the University.
- To create a welcoming and professional environment with the use of modernised, user-friendly systems, policies and procedures.
- To promote inclusive student support services including a focus on students with disabilities, LGBTQIP++, international students and Oppidan students.
- To promote and coordinate sporting events for students as a critical part of student wellness.
- To promote active participation in sports as part of a holistic healthy lifestyles program.
- Ensure financial sustainability in the Division.
Also in attendance was the Deputy Vice Chancellor of Academic and Student Affairs, Dr Chrissie Boughey, the Deputy Director of Residential Operations, Ms Jay Pillay, Conference and Events Manager Ms Charmaine Avery, and the Campus Protection Unit Manager, Mr Templeton Robiyana.
For more information on the Student Affairs Division at Rhodes University, please go to: https://www.ru.ac.za/studentaffairs/