The Dragonflies & Damselflies (Odonata) of South Africa
Compiled by Tanza Crouch and Tessa Hedge
Department of Entomology & Arachnology, Durban Natural Science Museum, P O Box 4085, Durban, 4000 South Africa
Tel: +27 31-311 2243 Fax: +27 31-311 2242
© Copyright of this page belongs to the author.
Yours is the access since 1st January 2000
- The Families
The damselflies and dragonflies of South Africa are currently classified into two suborders, containing seven and four families respectively. A list of species has been published previously (Pinhey 1984, 1985), and the distributions and periods of adult activity are taken from that source. The nomenclature of southern African Odonata is currently under review (see below). Changes to the names (presented here) may well occur during the latter half of 2000.
Information about the Odonata and their phylogenetic position can be obtained from
- BIOSIS Internet Resource Guide - Odonata
- Gordon Ramel's Dragonfly and Damselfly Page
- The Odonata page of The Tree of Life
- The Odonata Information Network, especially the links page
Order: ODONATA Fabricius, 1793
- Suborder: ZYGOPTERA Sélys, 1853
- Superfamily: Calopterygoidea Sélys, 1850
- Calopterygidae Sélys, 1850
- Chlorocyphidae Cowley, 1937
- Superfamily: Lestoidea Calvert, 1901
- Lestidae Calvert, 1901
- Synlestidae (= Chlorolestidae) Tillyard, 1917
- Superfamily: Coenagrionoidea Kirby, 1890
- Coenagrionidae Kirby, 1890
- Platycnemididae Tillyard, 1917
- Protoneuridae Tillyard, 1917
- Suborder: ANISOPTERA S7eacute;lys, 1853
- Superfamily: Gomphoidea Rambur, 1842
- Gomphidae Rambur, 1842
- Superfamily: Aeshnoidea Rambur, 1842
- Aeshnidae Rambur, 1842
- Superfamily: Libelluloidea Rambur, 1842
- Libellulidae Rambur, 1842
- Corduliidae Kirby, 1890
- Pinhey, E.C.G. 1964.
- A revision of the African members of the genus Pseudagrion Selys. Revista de Entomollogia de Mocambique 7: 1-196.
- Pinhey, E.C.G. 1970.
- Monographic study of the genus Trithemis Brauer. Memoirs of the Entomological Society of Southern Africa 11: 1-159.
- Pinhey, E.C.G. 1974.
- A revision of the African Agriocnemis Selys and Mortonagrion Fraser. Occasional Papers of the National Museums of Rhodesia (B) Natural Sciences 5(4): 171-278.
- Pinhey, E.C.G. 1980.
- A revision of African Lestidae (Odonata). Occasional Papers of the National Museums of Zimbabwe (B) Natural Sciences 6(6): 327-479.
- Pinhey, E.C.G. 1984.
- A survey of the dragonflies of South Africa. Part 1. Journal of the Entomological Society of Southern Africa 47: 147-188.
- Pinhey, E.C.G. 1985.
- A survey of the dragonflies of South Africa. Part 2. Journal of the Entomological Society of Southern Africa 48: 1-48.
This part of A Catalogue of South African Insects revised: