Awards and Commendations
1. Awarded Kwame Nkrumah Scientific Award by the African Union in 2016
2. Received a UNESCO Medal for Contribution to Development of Nanoscience and Nanotechnologies - 2015
3. recognized by CEO (Celebrating excellence in organizations) as the most influential woman in Education & Training in South Africa and the SADC - 2015
4. Appointed by United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has appointed me as part of United Nations Secretary General’s High-level Ppanel on Technology Banks for least developed countries - 2015
5. Jury - L’ORÉAL-UNESCO For Women in Science Awards – 2014/2015
6. Featured in 21 Icons (SABC-3) , South Africa - 2014
7. National Research Foundation "Lifetime Achievement Award" - 2013
8. The World Academic of Sciences (TWAS) Lecture Medal Award - 2013
9. National Research Foundation Rating: A
10. ISE Electrochemistry Excellence Award: Teaching & Research – 2013
11. South African Chemical Institute (SACI) Gold Medal award – 2012
12. Included in the National Center for Research on Human Evolution (CENIEH), located in Burgos, Spain to be one of their "13 NAMES TO CHANGE THE WORLD” – 2012
13. Awarded the Distinguished professorship at Rhodes University 2012
14. RSC (Royal Society in Chemistry)/ PACN (Pan African Chemistry Network) Distinguished Women in Chemistry: 2011
15. Invited by Irina Bokova, Director-General of UNESCO, to be a member of the UNESCO High-level panel on Science, Technology and Innovation for sustainable Development, June 2011
16. International Conference on Frontiers of Polymers and Advanced Materiel (ICFPAM) award in memory of the centenary of the first Nobel Prize in Chemistry awarded to a woman: Marie Curie. And also this is the year of Chemistry, 26th May 2011.
17. Inducted by Vodacom Lesotho into the Lesotho Hall of Fame, 2010
18. Awarded Doctor of Science Honoris Causa by Walter Sizulu University, 3rd May, 2010
19. Awarded Doctor of Science Honoris Causa by University of South Africa, 11th May, 2010
20. Elected Fellow of Third World Academy of Science -2009.
21. Awarded NRF President’s award as Champion for the transformation in research – 2009.
22. Awarded 2009/2010 CEO (Celebrating excellence in organizations) Most Influential Women in Business and Government (MIW) – Education and Teaching Sector.
23. Received L’Oreal-UNESCO award for “Women in Science” as a Laureate representing Africa and the Arab States in 2009. Committee chaired by Prof A Zawail (Recipient of Nobel prize in Chemistry, 1999). Also in the committee C. de Duve, recipient of Nobel prize in Medicine, 1974).
24. September, 2009, a motion was passed in the National Assembly acknowledging her role in transformation of science in South Africa. Subsequently she addressed the Parliament Portfolio Committee on Science.
25. Recognized as one of the top three publishing scientists in South Africa for 2007.
26. Awarded City Press / Rapport Prestige Awards for Inspirational Women Achievers – 2008.
27. Awarded Research chair for Medicinal Chemistry and Nanotechnology by the Department of Science and Technology and the National Research Foundation, starting 2007.
28. Bestowed with the Order of Mapungubwe: Bronze by the State President Mbeki -2005.
29. Awarded a Grant-Holder medal for 2005 from CSIR for being the best NLC grant holder of the year 2005.
30. Chosen as Rhodes University Rhodes Women of the Year in the Senior Research category, 2006.
31. Winner of SABC2/Shorprite-Checkers Woman of the year 2004 in Science and Technology.
32. Runner-up- DST Women in Science, 2004 and 2008.
33. Selected by Department of Science and Technology to present the Frances Ames Lecture, 2004.
34. Vice-Chancellor’s Distinguished Senior Research award - 2003.
35. Elected Fellow of the Royal Society of South Africa (FRSSA).
36. Member of the Academy of Science of South Africa.
37. Fulbright Award, 1990. Visited the Radiation Laboratory, University of Notre Dame, Indiana, USA.
38. Financial Mail little black book list for two years (2006, 2007, 2008, 2009) for top 100 influential people in South Africa.
Last Modified: Mon, 29 Aug 2016 14:46:46 SAST