Denzil R. Beukes
BSc (Hons), PhD (Rhodes)
Head of Pharmaceutical Chemistry Division
- Pharmaceutical Chemistry - Medicinal Chemistry, Natural Products Chemistry, Drug Design, Drug Metabolism
- Pharmaceutical Biochemistry - Protein structure and function
Research is focused in the general area of Natural Products and Medicinal Chemistry and covers aspects of natural products isolation and characterization, biosynthesis, synthesis and pharmacological evaluation.
- Ragubeer N, Limson JL, Beukes DR. Food Chemistry 2012, 131 (1), 286-290. Electrochemistry-guided isolation of
antioxidant metabolites from Sargassum elegans.
- Antunes EM, Afolayan AF, Chiwakata MT, Fakee J, Knott MG, Whibley CE, Hendricks DT, Bolton JJ, Beukes DR. Phytochemistry 2011 72(8), 769-72. Identification and in vitro anti-esophageal
cancer activity of a series of halogenated monoterpenes isolated from the South African seaweeds Plocamium suhrii and Plocamium cornutum.
- Ragubeer N, Beukes DR, Limson JL.Critical assessment of voltammetry for rapid screening of antioxidants in marine algae. Food Chemistry 2010 121, 227-232
- Lategan C, Kellerman T, Afolayan AF, Mann MG, Antunes EM, Smith PJ, Bolton JJ, Beukes DR. Antiplasmodial and antimicrobial activities of South African marine algal extracts. Pharmaceutical
Biology 2009, 47, 408-413.
- Afolayan AF, Mann MG, Lategan CA, Smith PJ, Bolton JJ, Beukes DR. Antiplasmodial halogenated monoterpenes from the marine red alga Plocamium cornutum. Phytochemistry 2009, 70(5),
- American Society of Pharmacognosy (ASP)