The following are defined as emergency numbers in the new PBX system:
- Campus Emergencies:
- 8999 — Any emergency on campus (can contact other emergency services, etc). Note that if you're phoning from a cell phone or off campus, you should dial 046 603 8999.
- National Emergency Call Centres:
- 112 — National emergency call centre (still to be implemented, goes to CPU for now)
- 1022 — Telkom's emergency call centre
- 10111 — National police emergency number
- 086 001 0111 — Crime Stop
- 046 622 4444 — Makana fire brigade
- 080 111 4444 — Makana fire brigade (toll free)
- 10177 — National ambulance service emergency number
- 082 911 — Netcare 911 (also National Sea Rescue Institute)
- Poison Information Centres:
- 021 689 5227 — Red Cross Hospital poison centre
- 021 931 6129 — Tygerberg Hospital poison centre
- 0800 333 444 — Unitas Hospital poison centre
- 0861 322 322 — LifeLine national counselling line (sharecall)
Note that all these numbers can be dialled from any phone, even if the phone instrument is logged out or if calls might be otherwise barred.
Emergency calls are treated specially by the PBX. In particular, you cannot hang up an emergency call; the called party needs to hang up. If your phone has a speaker-phone capability, emergency calls will automatically go to speaker-phone when you try to hang up.