Hugh le May Fellowship
Applications are invited for the year 2014
The Hugh le May Fellowship is available in alternate years to senior scholars who wish to devote themselves to advanced work in one of the following subjects: Philosophy, Classics, Ancient, Medieval or Modern History, Classical, Biblical, Medieval or Modern Languages, Political Theory, Law. Where there is no applicant of sufficient merit in any of the above disciplines, the Fellowship may be awarded to an applicant in another discipline within the Faculty of Humanities.
The Fellowship, of between three and six months duration, comprises:
- A direct return economy class airfare from the Fellow's place of residence.
- University accommodation with electricity and water included.
- R5000.00 monthly cash stipend to supplement the Fellow's usual source of income, or if accompanied by a partner R7500.00 per month cash stipend.
- If the Fellow accepts the appointment for at least four months and is accompanied by a partner, the partner's return economy airfare will also be paid.
- The length of the Fellowship my be extended by mutual agreement and subject to the availability of funds.
The successful applicant will be expected to take up residence in Grahamstown for such period between 1 January 2014 and 31 December 2014.
The Fellow will be given internet access, use of the University library and sport facilities, and will be an honorary member of staff for the duration of the Fellowship. The Fellow will not be expected to undertake any teaching duties.
At the conclusion of the Fellowship, the Fellow will be required to present a report on the work undertaken. The Fellow will be required to appropriately acknowledge the Fellowship and Rhodes University in all publications emanating from the period of the Fellowship.
Hugh le May Application should be submitted by 31 July 2013. Telephone +27 (46) 603 8936 or email address firstname.lastname@example.org.
ONLY QUALIFIED APPLICANTS SHOULD APPLY i.e. IF YOU HAVE OBTAINED YOUR PHD IN THE LAST 5 YEARS PLEASE DO NOT SUBMIT AN APPLICATION. RATHER APPLY FOR THE RHODES UNIVERSITY POST-DOCTORAL FELLOWHIP, or THE ANDREW W. MELLON POST-DOCTORAL FELLOWSHIP.
DR PETER CLAYTON
DEPUTY VICE-CHANCELLOR:RESEARCH & DEVELOPMENT