Safety Monitoring at Rhodes University
Managers and HODs are responsible for ensuring that health and safety inspections take place at least ONCE A TERM - AT ANY TIME during that term. The Occupational Health and Safety Act (1993) requires that health and safety in the workplace is monitored on a regular basis.
Health and Safety Inspection Reports:
- Health & Safety Reps should use the relevant Checklist (BELOW) to complete the workplace health and safety inspection report.
- They must consult other employees, who they represent.
- They must discuss the report with the Manager/HOD, who must countersign the report.
- They must keep a copy of the report in the workplace Health & Safety File (for at least 3 years).
- They must send a copy to the SHE Officer - by email to safety(at)ru.ac.za or hand in at quarterly health and safety sub-committee meeting
(to reduce paper use, we strongly encourage electronic submission).
DUE DATES for Health and Safety Inspection Reports:
- Term 1: 20 March
- Term 2: 20 June
- Term 3: 20 August
- Term 4: 20 November
Action to deal with health and safety concerns: click on SERVICES to see list of contacts for maintenance/repairs at RU.
Use or adapt these CHECKLISTS according to the requirements of your particular workplace.
for HOUSEKEEPING WORK AREAS:
for OFFICE WORK AREAS:
for WORKSHOPS/MAINTENANCE/MACHINERY WORK AREAS:
for COMPUTER LABS:
for SCIENCE/LABORATORY WORK AREAS:
The aim is to make these checklists as user-friendly as possible. Please send feedback to safety(at)ru.ac.za
Complete all required questions in the Google Form... but do not “submit” yet!
On your keyboard, press “Ctr” + “P” [= print prompt]
Select “Save as PDF” [***NB: you can click the “Change” tab, to get the option to change “Destination” to “PDF” instead of your physical printer***] --> press “SAVE” --> this will create a PDF copy which you can keep on electronic file.
Now you can press “SUBMIT” at the bottom of the Google Form page.
If you have any problems with this process, please contact Information & Technology Services (Dean van Heerden, ext 8308).
Return to Rhodes University's Safety front page. Questions/Suggestions? Contact safety(at)ru.ac.za
Last Modified :Tue, 21 Nov 2017 12:57:41 SAST