Safety Monitoring at Rhodes University
Managers and HODs are responsible for ensuring that health and safety inspections take place at least ONCE A TERM - AT ANY TIME during that term. The Occupational Health and Safety Act (1993) requires that health and safety in the workplace is monitored on a regular basis.
Health and Safety Inspection Reports:
- Health & Safety Reps should use the relevant Checklist (BELOW) to complete the workplace health and safety inspection report.
- They must consult other employees, who they represent.
- They must discuss the report with the Manager/HOD, who must countersign the report.
- They must keep a copy of the report in the workplace Health & Safety File (for at least 3 years).
- They must send a copy to the SHE Officer - by email to safety(at)ru.ac.za or hand in at quarterly health and safety sub-committee meeting
(to reduce paper use, we strongly encourage electronic submission).
DUE DATES for Health and Safety Inspection Reports:
- Term 1: 20 March
- Term 2: 20 June
- Term 3: 20 August
- Term 4: 20 November
Action to deal with health and safety concerns: click on SERVICES to see list of contacts for maintenance/repairs at RU.
Use or adapt these CHECKLISTS according to the requirements of your particular workplace.
FIND OUT how to create a PDF
for HOUSEKEEPING WORK AREAS:
for OFFICE WORK AREAS:
for WORKSHOPS/MAINTENANCE/MACHINERY WORK AREAS:
for COMPUTER LABS:
for SCIENCE/LABORATORY WORK AREAS:
The aim is to make these checklists as user-friendly as possible. Please send feedback to safety(at)ru.ac.za
Complete all required questions in the Google Form... but do not “submit” yet!
On your keyboard, press “Ctr” + “P” [= print prompt]
Select “Save as PDF” and then press “SAVE” - this will create a PDF copy which you can keep on electronic file.*
Now you can press “SUBMIT” at the bottom of the Google Form page.
*If you prefer to print on paper, then you can “CHANGE” your “Destination” (e.g. select your printer) - but please do print double-sided, to reduce paper use!
If you have any problems, please contact Dean at RU Information & Technology Services on ext 8308.
Return to Rhodes University's Safety front page. Questions/Suggestions? Contact safety(at)ru.ac.za
Last Modified :Tue, 10 Oct 2017 12:27:57 SAST