The Ad Hoc Training Fund also covers the cost of obtaining a driver's licence. However, this is only in circumstances where the employee is required to drive during the course of his/her duties or where the staff member obtaining a driver's licence would significantly enhance the effectiveness of the section/department. There is an annual call for applications to obtain driver’s licences, usually in about February of each year. The driver's licence application form can be collected from the HR Division or downloaded below. The funding is only applicable to Rhodes University permanent staff members.
Procedures and Conditions of Funding
- Funding will only be approved if a Driver’s Licence is a job requirement and/or will benefit the department/division.
- Applicants must obtain a quote from a Driving School covering the cost of obtaining a learner’s licence, driving lessons (maximum of 15), booking fee and testing costs.
- The University will only fund the costs of two tests for a Learner’s Licence, should the applicant fail the second test, he/she must pay for any further tests.
- Funds for the Driver’s Licence will only be released once the Learner’s Licence has been obtained.
- When applying for release of funding for the Driver’s Licence, the applicant must bring the original Learners Licence to the HRD Office.
- Failure to take action for a period of 6 months after the application has been approved will result in withdrawal of the funding.
- The applicant will be given a time limit of 6 months from the date of passing the Learners Licence or in the event that he/she has a Driver’s Licence from date of approval and a maximum of 15 lessons to obtain the Driver’s Licence.
- Should the applicant fail to obtain a licence within the stipulated time period, he/she will be required to repay the amount of the funding paid for the Driver’s Licence.