PROF. DENIS A HUGHES PhD (Wales) Pr.Sci.Nat
|Nationality: ||British with South African Permanent Residence|
|Date of Birth: ||06:12:1951|
|Parent firm: ||Rhodes University (RU)|
|Position: ||Director and Full Professor in the Institute for Water Research|
|Specialisation: ||Hydrological and Water Resource Modelling|
- BSc Honours University College of Wales, Aberystwyth, 1973
- PhD University College of Wales, Aberystwyth, 1978
- Registered Member, South African Council for Natural Scientists
- Author and co-author of more than 70 publications in the international scientific literature, many conference papers and contract reports. Recent papers and reports have addressed the following topics:
- the development of new approaches in hydrological or water resource modelling
- the application of such models in the context of southern Africa
- the application of models to solving specific problems, such as the impact of development on future water availability
- the development of decision support systems linked to models
- the development of methodologies for the estimation and management of environmental water requirements for rivers.
National Representative and Chairman of SANCIAHS
Vice President of IAHS International Commission on Surface Water
|1995 - 1997, 1991 - 1993 & 2005 - Present
||Director of the Institute for Water Research, Rhodes University (RU)|
|2003 - Present ||Full Professor in the Institute for Water Research|
|1988 - 2002 ||Associate Professor, Hydrological Research Unit/Institute for Water Research, RU|
|1979 - 1983 ||Research Officer and Senior Research Officer, HRU, RU|
|1977 - 1979 ||Research Assistant, Dept. of Geography, University College of Wales, Aberystwyth|
- More than 25 years experience in hydrological and water resource modelling.
- Specialist knowledge in evaluation of available water resources.
- Specialist knowledge in hydrological design of water resource schemes.
- Specialist knowledge in the assessment of likely scenarios in terms of water availability, abstraction patterns and the impacts on river systems.
- Specialist knowledge in the development and application of hydrological modelling approaches and modelling software systems.
- Specialist knowledge in the hydrological issues associated with environmental water requirements (EWR) of rivers and the development of models to support both EWR determinations and implementation.
- Postgraduate supervision of MSc and PhD students.
- Several research contracts with the Water Research Commission and the Dept. of Water Affairs and Forestry related to developments in methodologies for determining and implementing the ecological Reserve (EWR) as part of the SA National Water Act.
- Hydrological specialist for several large-scale Reserve determination projects.
- Development of the SPATSIM (Spatial and Time Series Information Modelling) software package, a framework and database for the application of a wide range of hydrological and water resource models.
- Hydrological modelling uncertainty analysis and the development of practical approaches to dealing with uncertainty in water resource estimation for ungauged basin.
Last Edited: November 29 2010 09:23:44.