Information Technology — Configuring Software @ Rhodes
- Open Opera (by double-clicking on the Opera icon)
- From the Tools menu, select Preferences
- Click on the Advanced tab on the top right-hand corner
- Click on Network in the list on the left-hand side, then click the Proxy Servers... button.
- Tick the Use automatic proxy configuration option, type http://wpad.ru.ac.za/ into the box below it
- Click on OK to close the Proxy Servers window, and OK to close the Preferences window.
Alternative Configuration for Opera
If Opera is causing a high number of unauthenticated requests, use the following configuration. This should be a last resort.
- In the Proxy Servers dialog, untick Use automatic proxy configuration.
- At the top, tick HTTP, HTTPS and FTP and type wwwproxy.ru.ac.za into the textboxes next to HTTP, HTTPS and FTP.
- Enter 3128 into each of the Port fields.
- Tick Do not use proxy on the addresses below
- In the big field below this option, enter the following with each address on a new line:
(The proxy.pac file contains other addresses. Whilst you can include these, be aware that they change from time to time. The only ones you have to include are those above)