Apply online to attend: www.tedxrhodesu.com/apply
Catch TEDxRhodesU on Facebook: facebook.com/tedxrhodesu and on Twitter: @tedxrhodesu
Africa is often viewed, by its inhabitants and outsiders alike, as something of a basket case. What is rarely discussed are the things that make Africa relevant, the things that make the world a better place for having Africa and it’s people in it, the things that have inspired Africa and the Africa that inspires the world. This is about to change.
Rhodes University is getting involved with ‘ideas worth spreading’ this year with its inaugural TEDx event scheduled for August. Four of the speakers for the event have already been announced and applications to attend are pouring in!
TED (technology, entertainment and design) started in California nearly thirty years ago as an annual conference devoted to giving the best ideas the space they need to inspire, develop and spread.
Please note that there will be a power outage in Grahamstown on Sunday 3 June. For the town, the cut will last for the whole day. As a
compromise, the Municipality has agreed to start with Rhodes, and switch off power at Rhodes from 0600 to 10h00. Breakfast will be served as usual, as gas is used in the kitchens.
(In the case of inclement weather, the outage will take place on 10th June instead)
Please ensure that you plan your studying accordingly.
Vivian de Klerk
DEAN OF STUDENTS
Instead of the annual My Body My Choice exhibition this year the Dean of Students office is running a photography competition. The submissions will be used for National Women's Week posters.
The idea is simple:
1. Make a sign that says "this is what a feminist looks like"
2. Take a picture of you, your friends, a group of friends, your residence, your sports team etc. holding the sign
3. Email the picture (JPG only please) to firstname.lastname@example.org along with your name/names and contact info
4. Post the picture to the event page on at https://www.facebook.com/events/362160693846176/
5. Stand a chance to win vouchers to Homeground Coffee Roasters, Haricots and more
You can start submitting pictures now! The closing date for submissions is 25 July.