Configure Gmail via Rhodes
- Start by opening the Google Webmail login page, and enter your login details.
- Click on settings in the top right hand corner of the screen. This should open your Gmail settings page.
- From the tabs at the top of the settings page, select the tab "Accounts and Import".
- In the section "Send mail as:", click on the button "Send mail from another address".
- This should pop-up a window, as shown below:
- Enter your name, and your Rhodes University email address (i.e. g09X0000@campus.ru.ac.za) into the relevant fields.
- Make sure "Treat as an alias" is ticked
- Click on the "Next Step" button.
- The window should now appear as below:
- Select the option "Send through campus.ru.ac.za SMTP server".
- Then enter under SMTP server "mail.ru.ac.za"
- Make sure port 587 is selected.
- And enter your Rhodes University username and password that you use to login to the Rhodes University webmail into the username and password fields.
- Check the "Secured connection using TLS" radio box
- Click on the "Add Account" button.
- Google may send you a verification email. If they do this, paste the verification number into the provided box to complete adding your account.
Now when you compose a new mail, there will be a drop down box where the from field is. This drop down box will contain both your Gmail address and Rhodes University address, and if you select your Rhodes address it will appear as if the mail is coming directly from the Rhodes University servers and not via Gmail.
Last Modified: Tue, 16 Feb 2016 10:13:13 SAST