Rhodes University Logo
Rhodes > Student Networking > Config > More Useful Guides > Internet Connection Sharing

Configure Internet Connection Sharing

The Student Networking service only provides for a single computer that can be connected either wirelessly, or by using the network point in each residence room. Each student is allocated one address on the network in the location they sign up from. In general, connecting a new PC to the network involved disconnecting the old one. This is something you can only do a limited number of times a year.

Sometimes students have two PCs -- for instance a laptop and a desktop -- that they'd like to be able to use in their room. Internet Connection Sharing allows two or more networked computers to share a single network connection, which makes this possible.

Microsoft have instructions on Windows XP and Windows 7.

Note that the computer that's providing the shared network connection must have two separate network cards in it: one that's connected to Rhodes' network, and one that's connected to your other PC(s). It isnot permissible to connect a hub or switch directly to the University's network and to run your private network over this, and doing so will get you in trouble with the acceptable use policy. It is also not permissible to install a wireless access point on campus (irrespective of whether it's connected to the University's network).

In general, modern computers will have a single network card built-in. This means that if you want to use Internet Connection Sharing, you need to add an extra one. Network cards are fairly cheap (~ R200), and are available from just about any computer shop (for instance the IT Division's shop in Struben Building).

You may also need what's known as a crossover cable. This is similar to the flylead/patch lead that you use to connect your computer to the University's network point, but is wired slightly differently. Newer network cards (particularly gigabit ones) often don't need this, and will work with a normal patch lead; older network cards usually do. If you need a crossover cable, they're also available from just about any computer shop.

The following diagram shows how this all fits together, and how you should connect your computers:


The computer in the middle is the host computer, and is the one that runs ICS. Rhodes' network should be connected to the public interface on this computer (and should be the only thing connected to this interface); your second computer should be connected to the private interface.

Note that all the computers sharing a network connection like this are subject to the same per-host Internet transfer quota.

Last Modified: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 10:13:33 SAST