Arson attempt on campusDate Released: Sat, 1 October 2016 12:13 +0200
At approximately 4am today, 1 October 2016, a fire was started at a basement entrance on the south wall of the main administration building, using a flammable substance. The fire was noticed and extinguished relatively quickly. Damage caused to electrical and communication lines has resulted in these services not being available in that area of the building.
The SAPS and the Fire Department were at the scene, and a case of arson has been opened.
The University condemns all forms of violence, arson and the destruction of property, and will cooperate with investigators to bring the perpetrators to justice.
Issued by Communications and Advancement Division