Vice-Chancellor’s Circular on the Establishment of an Emergency Water Action TeamDate Released: Mon, 19 August 2013 11:48 +0200
19 August 2013
Yesterday (Sunday, 18 August 2013) there was again a problem with water supply, due to a faulty pump at Waainek. No sooner had water begun to flow, supply to a few residences was interrupted.
Water problems are likely to be a recurring issue until there is a comprehensive Municipality plan for water security in Makana. The University will continue to engage the Municipality vigorously in this regard.
I have already appointed two Special Assistants to the Vice-Chancellor, who have been mandated to devise a comprehensive water emergency plan for the University, effective whenever immediate interventions may be needed, and propose short-, medium- and long-term interventions.
Alongside, I have established an Emergency Water Action Team, which will kick into action as soon as a water outage occurs or there is a water problem of any kind.
This EWAT will address and manage all issues from the start to the end of any water problem or emergency. The EWAT will comprise:
- The ED: Infrastructure, Operations and Finance (Convenor) or his nominee
- The Deputy Director: Facilities Services
- The Deputy Director: Residential Operations (if residences and halls are affected)
- The Dean of Students (if residences and halls are affected)
- A representative of the Communication and Marketing Division
- Relevant wardens (if residences and halls are affected)
- Additional relevant coopted members
- The Special Assistants to the Vice-Chancellor (should the EWAT meet while the Special Assistants are undertaking their work).