Prof Martin Hill
Head of Entomology
Discipline: Entomology, Biological Control
PhD Rhodes University (1995)
Phone: +27(0)46 603 8712
Prof. Hill completed his PhD at Rhodes University in 1995. He worked at the Plant Protection Research Institute (PPRI) in Pretoria from 1995 to 2002 and moved to Rhodes University as Head of Entomology from 2002 to the present. His research interests include the biological control of invasive alien aquatic weeds and insect pests. He has worked extentisvely throughout Africa on the control of aquatic weeds such as water hyacinth, salvinia, water lettuce, red water fern and parrot’s feather. Recent research includes the development of microbial agents (entomopathogenic fungi and viruses) for the control of pests in citrus and other crops.
Biological control of weeds
Insect functional anatomy
Insect predators and parasitoids
- Goble, T.A., Hill, M.P. and Conlong, D. E. 2015. The virulence of South African isolates of Beauveria brongniartii and B. bassiana against sugarcane white grubs (Coleoptera: Scarabaeidae). Journal of Applied Entomology, 139: 134-145.
- Hill, J.M., Jones, R.W., Hill, M.P. and Weyl, O.L.F. (2015). Comparisons of isotopic niche widths of some invasive and indigenous fauna in a South African river. Freshwater Biology (in press).
- Knox, C., Luke, G.A., Moore, S.D. and Hill, M.P. 2015. Baculovirus-based strategies for the management of insect pests. Biocontrol Science and Technology, 25: 1–20.
- Burke, A.M., Coetzee, J.A.and Hill, M.P. 2014. Effect of nutrient quality and leaf age of water hyacinth, Eichhornia crassipes, on the development of its co-evolved herbivore, Eccritotarsus catarinensis (Hemiptera: Miridae). African Entomology, 22(4): 896-899.
- Canavan, K., Coetzee, J.A., Hill, M.P. & Paterson, I.P. 2014. The effect of water eutrophication on the impact of the water hyacinth moth, Niphograpta albigutallis Warren (Lepidoptera: Crambidae), on Eichhornia crassipes (Mart.) Solms-Laub. (Pontederiaceae). African Journal of Aquatic Science, 39(2): 203-208.
- Canavan, K., Hill, M.P. and Paterson, I.D. 2014. The herbivorous arthropods associated with the invasive alien plant, Arundo donax, and the native analogous plant Phragmites australis in the Free State Province, South Africa. African Entomology, 22 (2): 454-459.
- Coetzee, J.A., Jones, R.W. and Hill, M.P. 2014. Water hyacinth, Eichhornia crassipes Pontederiaceae), reduces benthic macroinvertebrate diversity in a protected subtropical lake in South Africa. Biodiversity and Conservation, 23:1319–1330.
- Heshula, L.U.P. & Hill, M.P. 2014. The effect of Falconia intermedia feeding on emission of volatile organic compounds from aerial parts of Lantana camara varieties. Africa Entomology, 22: 210-213.
- Jukes, M.D., Knox, C.M., Hill, M.P. and Moore, S.D. 2014. The isolation and genetic characterisation of a South African strain of Phthorimaea operculella granulovirus, PhopGV-SA. Virus Research, 183: 85-88.
- Love, C.N., Hill, M.P. & Moore, S.D. 2014. Thaumatotibia leucotreta and the Navel orange: ovipositional preferences and host susceptibility. Journal of Applied Entomology, 138: 600–611.
- Paterson, I.D., Mdodana, L.A., Mpekula, O., Mabunda, D. and Hill, M.P. 2014. A new biological control agent for the invasive alien plant, Pereskia aculeata, in South Africa. Biological Control Science and Technology,24 (10): 1083–1095.
- Paterson, I.D., Vitorino, M.D., de Cristo, S.C., Martin, G.D. and Hill, M.P. 2014. Prioritization of potential agents for the biological control of the invasive alien weed, Pereskia aculeata(Cactaceae), in South Africa. Biocontrol Science and Technology, 24: 407–425.
- Opoku-Debrah, J.K., Hill, M.P., Knox, C. & Moore, S.D. 2014. Comparison of the biology of geographically distinct populations of the citrus pest, Thaumatotibia leucotreta (Meyrick) (Lepidoptera: Tortricidae) in South Africa. African Entomology, 22: 530–537.
- Uyi, O., Hill, M.P. and Zachariades, C. 2014. The life history traits of the erebid moth Pareuchaetes insulata, a biological control agent of Chromolaena odorata in South Africa. Africa Entomology,22: 611–624.
- Uyi, O., Hill, M.P. and Zachariades, C. 2014. Variation in host plant has no effect on the performance and fitness-related traits of the specialist herbivore, Pareuchaetes insulata Entomologia Experimentalis et Applicata, 153: 64-75.
- Abdulkadir, F., Marsburg,T., Knox, C., Hill, M.P. and Moore, S.D. 2013. Morphological and genetic characterisation of a South African Plutella xylostella granulovirus (PlxyGV) isolate. African Entomology, 21(1): 168–171.
- Bownes, A., Hill, M.P. and Byrne, M.J. 2013. Nutrient-mediated effects on Cornops aquaticum Brüner (Orthoptera: Acrididae), a potential biological control agent of water hyacinth, Eichhornia crassipes (Mart.) Solms (Pontederiaceae). Biological Control, 67: 548-554.
- Bownes, A., Hill, M.P. and Byrne, M.J. 2013. The role of nutrients in the responses of water hyacinth, Eichhornia crassipes (Pontederiaceae) to herbivory by a grasshopper Cornops aquaticum Brüner (Orthoptera: Acrididae). Biological Control, 67: 555-562.
- Jones, R.W., Weyl, O.L.F., Swartz, E.R. and Hill, M.P. 2013. Using a unified invasion framework to characterize Africa’s first loricariid catfish invasion. Biological Invasions, 15(10): 2139-2145.
- Katembo, N., Hill, M.P. & Byrne, M.J. 2013. Impacts of a sub-lethal dose of glyphosate on water hyacinth nutrients and its indirect effects on Neochetina weevils. Biocontrol Science and Technology, 23: 1421-1426.
- Madeira, P.T., Center, T.D., Coetzee, J.A., Pemberton, R.W., Purcell, M.F., Hill, M.P. 2013. Identity and origins of introduced and native Azolla species in Florida. Aquatic Botany, 111: 9-15.
- Marlin, D., Hill, M.P., Ripley, B.S., Strauss, A.J. and Byrne, M.J. 2013. The effect of herbivory by the mite Orthogalumna terebrantis on the growth and photosynthetic performance of water hyacinth. Aquatic Botany, 104: 60-69.
- Marlin, D., Hill, M.P. and Byrne, M.J. 2013. Interactions within pairs of biological control agents on water hyacinth, Eichhornia crassipes. Biological Control, 67:483-490.
- Opoku-Debrah, J.K., Hill, M.P., Knox, C. and Moore, S.D. 2013. Overcrowding of false codling moth, Thaumatotibia leucotreta (Meyrick) leads to the isolation of five new Cryptophlebia leucotreta granulovirus (CrleGV-SA) isolates. Journal of Invertebrate Pathology, 112: 219-228.
- Ray, P & Hill, M.P. 2013. Microbial agents for control of aquatic weeds and their role in integrated management. CAB Reviews 8 No. 014: 1-9.
- Venter, N., Hill, M.P., Hutchingson, S-L. and Ripley, B.S. 2013. Weevil borne microbes contribute as much to the reduction of photosynthesis in water hyacinth as does herbivory. Biological Control 64: 138-142.
Last Modified: Tue, 28 Nov 2017 12:04:42 SAST