Dr Tatenda Dalu
Claude Leon Post-Doctoral Fellow
BSc Hons (UZ), MSc (UZ), PhD (Rhodes)
Office: S17, Life Sciences Building, African St
Phone: +27 83 3087633
Research Interests: Plankton ecology, trophic ecology, biodiversity and conservation
Current Postgraduate Students:
MSc - Moline Gusha (BSc Hons, NUST, ZIM)
Recent Research Publications:
- Nel HA, Dalu T and Wasserman RJ. 2018. Sinks and sources: assessing microplastic abundance in river sediment and deposit feeders in an Austral urban river system. Science of the Total Environment. 612(15 Jan):950–956.
- Dalu MTB, Dalu T and Wasserman RJ. 2017. Africa: Restrict bush fires used in animal hunts. Nature 547(7662):281.
- Marufu L, Dalu T, Phiri C and Nhiwatiwa T. 2017. Diet composition of tigerfish, Hydrocynus vittatus (Castelnau 1861) inferred using stomach content and stable isotope analyses. Annales de limnologie-International Journal of Limnology. 53:47–56.
- Wasserman RJ, Whitfield AK, Welch RJ and Dalu T. 2017. Are nest sites a limiting resource for a speleophilic roof-top nesting goby in sand dominated temporarily open/closed estuaries? Environmental Biology of Fishes. 100(2):187–191.
- Dalu T, Wasserman RJ and Dalu MTB. 2017. Agricultural intensification and drought frequency increases may have landscape level consequences for ephemeral ecosystems. Global Change Biology. 23(3):983–985. Featured on BBC News Online and Freshwater Matters
- Dalu T, Wasserman RJ, Vink TF and Weyl OLF. 2017. Sex and species specific isotopic niche specialisation increases with trophic complexity: evidence from an ephemeral pool ecosystem. Scientific Reports. 7:43229.
- Nhiwatiwa T and Dalu T. 2017. Seasonal variation in pans in relation to limno-chemistry, size, hydroperiod, and river connectivity in a semi-arid subtropical region. Physics and Chemistry of the Earth A/B/C. 97(Feb):37–45.
- Nhiwatiwa T, Dalu T and Brendonck L. 2017. Impact of irrigation based sugarcane cultivation on the Chiredzi and Runde Rivers quality, Zimbabwe. Science of the Total Environment. 587–588(1 Jun):316–325.
- Dalu MTB, Wasserman RJ, Maposa VG and Dalu T. 2017. Environmental traps in developing countries: the case of Dema emergency diesel power plant (EPP), Zimbabwe. Journal of Cleaner Production. 150(1 May):123–126.
- Jordaan MS, Dalu T, Wasserman RJ, Slabbert E and Weyl OLF. 2017. Unexpected survival of sharptooth catfish Clarias gariepinus (Burchell 1822) during acute rotenone toxicity trials will complicate management of invasions. Biological Invasions. 19(6):1739–1744.
- Nhiwatiwa T, Brendonck L and Dalu T. 2017. Understanding factors structuring zooplankton and macroinvertebrate assemblages in ephemeral pans. Limnologica. 64(May):11–19.
- Dalu T, Wasserman RJ, Magoro M, Mwedzi T, Froneman PW and Weyl OLF. 2017. Variation partitioning of benthic diatom community matrices: Effect of multiple variables on benthic diatom communities in an Austral temperate river system. Science of the Total Environment. 601–602(1 Dec):73–82.
- Nhiwatiwa T, Dalu T and Brendonck L. 2017. Streptocephalus Sangoensis n. sp. (Anostraca, Streptocephalidae), a new large Branchiopod species for southern Africa. Crustaceana. 90(6):673–683.
- Dalu T, Wasserman RJ, Tonkin JD, Alexander ME, Dalu MTB, Motitso S, Manungo KI, Bepe O and Dube T. 2017. Assessing drivers of benthic macroinvertebrate community structure in African highland streams: an exploration using multivariate analysis. Science of the Total Environment. 601–602(1 Dec):1340–1348.
- Dalu MTB, Wasserman RJ and Dalu T. 2017. Can Potamonautids be used as umbrella invertebrate species for conservation: identifying opportunities and challenges related to community sustainable livelihoods. Physics and Chemistry of the Earth ABC. DOI: 10.1016/j.pce.2017.06.007.
- Dalu T, Wasserman RJ, Tonkin JD, Mwedzi T, Magoro M and Weyl OLF. 2017. Water or sediment? Partitioning the role of water column and sediment chemistry as drivers of macroinvertebrate communities in an austral South African stream. Science of the Total Environment. 607–608(31 Dec):317–325.
- Dalu T, Wasserman RJ, Froneman PW and Weyl OLF. 2017. Trophic isotopic carbon variation increases with pond’s hydroperiod: Evidence from an Austral ephemeral ecosystem. Scientific Reports. 7: 7572.
- Nhiwatiwa T, Dalu T and Sithole T. 2017. Assessment of water quality in a subtropical African river system: a combined approach using nutrients, diatoms and macroinvertebrates. Applied Water Science. DOI: 10.1007/s13201-017-0599-0.
- Nhiwatiwa T, Maseko Z and Dalu T. 2017. Fish communities in small subtropical reservoirs subject to extensive drawdowns, with focus on the biology of Enteromius paludinosus (Peters, 1852) and Clarias gariepinus (Burchell, 1822). Ecological Research. In press.
- Suárez-Morales E, Wasserman RJ and Dalu T. 2016. ERRATUM: Suárez-Morales E, Wasserman RJ and Dalu T. 2015. A new species of Lovenula Schmeil (Copepoda, Calanoida, Diaptomidae) from East Cape Province, South Africa [88(3):324–342]. Crustaceana. 89(10):1239.
- Dalu T, Sachikonye MTB, Alexander ME, Dube T, Froneman PW, Manungo KI, Bepe A and Wasserman RJ. 2016. Ecological assessment of two species of Potamonautid freshwater crabs from the Eastern Highlands of Zimbabwe, with implications for their conservation. PLoS One. 11(1):e0145923.
- Bere T, Dalu T and Mwedzi T. 2016. Detecting the impact of heavy metal contaminated sediment on benthic macroinvertebrate communities in tropical streams. Science of the Total Environment. 572:147–156.
- Dalu T, Richoux NB and Froneman PW. 2016. Nature and source of suspended particulate matter and detritus along an austral temperate river-estuary continuum, assessed using stable isotope analysis. Hydrobiologia. 767(1):95–110.
- Dalu T, Weyl OLF, Froneman PW and Wasserman RJ. 2016. Trophic interactions in an Austral temperate ephemeral pond inferred using stable isotope analysis.Hydrobiologia. 768(1):81–94.
- Wasserman RJ, Alexander ME, Barrios-O’Neill D, Weyl OLF and Dalu T. 2016. Using functional responses to assess predator hatching phenology implications for pioneering prey in arid temporary pools. Journal of Plankton Research. 38(1):154–158.
- Wasserman RJ, Alexander ME, Barrios-O'Neill D, Weyl OLF, Froneman PW and Dalu T. 2016. Emergent impacts of structural complexity and temperature on predator-prey dynamics of ephemeral pond pioneer species. Ecosphere. 7(2):e01239.
- Dalu T, Tambara E, Chari LD, Moyo S and Nhiwatiwa T. 2016. A test of the Lake Habitat Survey method in Cleveland Reservoir and Lake Chivero (Manyame River Basin, Zimbabwe). Water SA. 42(1):102–111.
- Dalu T, Bere T and Froneman PW. 2016. Assessment of water quality based on diatom indices in a small temperate river system: a case of the Kowie River, South Africa. Water SA. 42(2):183–193.
- Sachikonye MTB, Dalu T and Gunter A. 2016. Sustainable livelihood principles and urban greening in informal settlements in practice: A case of Zandspruit informal settlement, Johannesburg. Development Southern Africa. 33(4):518–531.
- Dalu T and Froneman PW. 2016. Diatom based water quality monitoring in Africa: challenges and future prospects. Water SA. 42(4):551–559.
- Dalu T, Richoux NB and Froneman PW. 2016. Distribution of benthic diatom communities in a permanently open temperate estuary, in relation to physico-chemical variables. South Africa Journal of Botany. 107(Nov):31–38.
- Wasserman RJ, Alexander ME, Dalu T, Ellender BR, Kaiser H and Weyl OLF. 2016. Using functional responses to quantify interaction effects among predators. Functional Ecology. 30(Dec):1988–1998.
- Dalu T, Galloway AWE, Richoux NB and Froneman PW. 2016. The effects of substrate on biologically important fatty acids produced by phytobenthos in an austral temperate river. Freshwater Science. 35(4):1189–1201.
- Weyl OLF, Barrow S, Bellingan T, Dalu T, Woodford D, Jordaan M, Gouws J, Impson D, Wasserman RJ and Ellender BR. 2016. Evaluating fish and macro-invertebrate recovery rates in the Rondegat River, Western Cape, after river rehabilitation by alien fish removal using rotenone: Guidelines for monitoring invertebrate and fish recovery rates following river rehabilitation using rotenone in clear water streams. Water Research Commission Project K5/2261 Report, Pretoria. pp. 1–72.
- Dalu T, Taylor JC, Richoux NB and Froneman PW. 2015. The morphology and distribution of Entomoneis paludosa (W Smith) Reimer in African waters. Fottea. 15(1):11–25.
- Dalu T, Wasserman RJ, Jordaan M, Froneman PW and Weyl OLF. 2015. An assessment of the effect of rotenone concentrations on selected non-target aquatic fauna. PLoS One. 10(11): e0142140.
- Wasserman RJ, Vink TJF, Dalu T and Froneman PW. 2015. Fish predation regimes modify benthic diatom community structures: experimental evidence from an in situ mesocosm study. Austral Ecology. 40(7):806–815.
- Dalu T, Dube T, PW Froneman, Sachikonye MTB, Clegg BW and Nhiwatiwa T. 2015. An assessment of chlorophyll-a concentration spatio-temporal variation using LANDSAT satellite data, in a small tropical reservoir. Geocarto International. 30(10):1130–1143.
- Dalu T, Bere T, Richoux NB and Froneman PW. 2015. Assessment of the spatial and temporal variation in periphyton communities along a small temperate river system: A multimetric and stable isotope analysis approach.South African Journal of Botany. 100(Sep):203–212.
- Suárez-Morales E, Wasserman RJ and Dalu T. 2015. A new species of Lovenula Schmeil (Copepoda, Calanoida, Diaptomidae) from East Cape Province, South Africa. Crustaceana. 88(3):324–342. Featured in The WaterWheel July/August 2015 magazine, and on the ECOSUR and SAIAB websites.
Last Modified :Thu, 07 Sep 2017 12:21:38 SAST