PhD University of the Witwatersrand (2003)
Senior Research Officer
Phone +27 46 603 8702
Fax +27 46 622-8959
Biological control of weeds
Aquatic plant ecology
Species distribution modelling
Statistics for biologists
Entomological Society of Southern Africa
NRF Y rating
1. Bronwen May (MSc, Rhodes University) - To compensate or defend: an investigation into insect-induced aquatic plant defences.
2. Candice Owen (MSc, Rhodes University) - Distribution, phylogeny, physiology, seasonality and behaviour of the maritime Platygastrid Echthrodesis lamorali Masner (Hymenoptera: Scelionidae).
3. Louise Stafford (MSc, Rhodes University) - The ecological and socio-economic impacts of aquatic weed biological control in the Cape Metro.
1. Philip Weyl (PhD, Rhodes University) - Investigating the origins of a suspected weed, Myriophyllum spicatum Linnaeus (Haloragaceae), in South Africa.
1. Grant Martin (PhD 2013, Rhodes University) - Drivers of Macrophyte Assemblages in South African Freshwater Systems.
1. Colin Fordham (MSc 2012, Rhodes University) - A spatial and temporal analysis of the changes in alien macrophyte communities and a baseline assessment of the macroinvertebrates associated with Eurasian water-milfoil, Myriophyllum spicatum L. (Haloragaceae) in the Vaal River.
2. Taryn Morris (MSc 2008, University of the Witwatersrand) - The impacts of invasive alien plant clearing on riparian vegetation recovery along the Sabie River in the Kruger National Park (Graduated with Distinction).
3. Kyle Harris (MSc 2008, University of Pretoria) - Assessing and monitoring local scale impacts of Opuntia stricta on arthropod assemblages in the Kruger National Park, South Africa
Luke Schutz (MSc 2007, University of the Witwatersrand) - A pre-release survey of the invasive water weed Hydrilla verticillata, and its associated insects on Pongolapoort Dam, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa.
1. May, B & Coetzee, J.A. 2013. Comparisons of the thermal physiology of water hyacinth biological control agents: predicting establishment and distribution pre- and post-release. Entomologia experimentalis et applicata in press.
2. Weyl, P.S.R. & Coetzee, J.A. 2013. An integrated remote sampling approach for aquatic invertebrates associated with submerged macrophytes. African Journal of Aquatic Sciences in press.
3. Martin, G.D., Coetzee, J.A. and Baars, J-R. 2013. Hydrellia lagarosiphon Deeming (Diptera: Ephydridae), a potential biological control agent for the submerged aquatic weed, Lagarosiphon major (Ridl.) Moss ex Wager (Hydrocharitaceae). African Entomology 21: 151-160.
4. Coetzee, J.A. 2012. Meteorological weather station data can be used in climate matching studies of biological control agents. Biocontrol Science and Technology 22: 419-427.
5. Coetzee, J.A. & Hill, M.P. 2012. The role of eutrophication in the biological control of water hyacinth, Eichhornia crassipes, in South Africa. BioControl 57:247–261.
6. Albano Pérez, E., Coetzee J.A., Ruiz Téllez T. & Hill M.P. 2011. Water hyacinth (Eichhornia crassipes) seed bank dynamics in South Africa: the regeneration potential of the infestation. South African Journal of Botany 77: 795–800.
7. Paterson, I.D., Coetzee, J.A., Hill, M.P. & Downie, D.A. 2011. A pre-release assessment of the relationship between the invasive alien plant, Pereskia aculeata Miller (Cactaceae), and native plant biodiversity in South Africa. Biological Control 57: 59-65.
8. Martin, G.D. & Coetzee, J.A. 2011. Fresh water aquatic plant invasion risks posed by the aquarium trade, aquarists and the internet trade in South Africa WaterSA 37: 371-380.
9. Coetzee, J.A., Bownes, A. & Martin, G.D. 2011. Prospects for the biological control of submerged aquatic macrophytes. African Entomology 19(2): 469–487.
10. Coetzee, J.A., Hill, M.P., Byrne, M.J. and Bownes, A.B. 2011. A review of the biological control programmes on Eichhornia crassipes (C. Mart.) Solms (Pontederiacaeae), Salvinia molesta D.S. Mitch. (Salviniaceae), Pistia stratiotes L. (Araceae), Myriophyllum aquaticum (Vell.) Verdc. (Haloragaceae) and Azolla filiculoides Lam. (Azollaceae) in South Africa since 1999. African Entomology 19(2): 451–468.
11. Robertson, M.P., Harris, K.R., Coetzee, J.A., Foxcroft, L.C., Dippenaar-Schoeman, A.S. & van Rensburg, B.J. 2011. Assessing local scale impacts of Opuntia stricta (Cactaceae) invasion on beetle and spider diversity in Kruger National Park, South Africa. African Zoology 46(2): 205–223.
12. Baars, J-R., Coetzee, J.A., Martin, G.D., Hill, M.P. & Caffrey, J.M. 2010. Natural enemies from South Africa for biological control of Lagarosiphon major (Ridl.) Moss ex Wager (Hydrocharitaceae) in Europe. Hydrobiologia 656:149–158.
13. Diop, O., Coetzee, J.A. and Hill, M.P. (2010). Impact of different densities of Neohydronomus affinis Hustache (Coleoptera: Cuculionidae) on Pistia stratiotes Linnaeus (Araceae) under laboratory conditions. African Journal of Aquatic Science 35(3): 267–271.