The Mother Cecile Memorial Hall

Allan Webb Hall's Dining Room


Allan webb Dining Hall

Unless history is recorded, the courage and valiance of ordinary people against overwhelming odds is lost. In order to remember the work and sacrifice of this small band of Sisters, two beautiful stained glass windows were erected in Mother Cecile Memorial Hall.

The windows, designed and executed by the well known artist Hunter Nesbitt, are an amazing combination of modern glass flowing out from the old traditional setting. These windows are amongst the finest in Africa if not the world.

The Stained Glass Windows

Our Stained Glass Windows - please click here to enlarge this panel
Our Stained Glass Windows - please click here to enlarge this panel
Mr Hunter Nesbit Designer and Artist at work
Our Stained Glass Windows - please click here to enlarge this panelOur Stained Glass Windows - please click here to enlarge this panelOur Stained Glass Windows - please click here to enlarge this panelOur Stained Glass Windows - please click here to enlarge this panelOur Stained Glass Windows - please click here to enlarge this panelOur Stained Glass Windows - please click here to enlarge this panel

Above: Mr Hunter Nesbit Designer and Artist at work.

Left: Please click on one of the panels to see a larger version, taken from the original plans.

The central turquoise and green sections symbolise the tree of life, growth and knowledge.

The panels alongside of small squares in browns and oranges symbolise the buildings and work achieved by the Community. Each Sister living and dead has her name and birth date on one of these squares.

There are six heralds at the bottom of the windows. The first is that of Canterbury House with a picture above it depicting the St Peter's Building. The second herald is that of the old Training College badge. The third is that of Salisbury House topped with the picture of the Chapel of St Mary and all the Angels. The next window holds the Winchester House herald with a picture of a group of orphan children in mop caps. The next herald is that of the Hall. Lastly is the herald of Truro House with a picture of a Sister talking to a group of women in a rural area.

Right at the top are portraits of Mother Cecile CR and Bishop Webb. Lower down are two smaller windows. No longer residences in the area, they represent Bangor House, now offices for the Web Unit, Philosophy and Music Department, and Lincoln House, now the Law Department.

Along the bottom is written "To the memory of Mother Cecile 1862-1906 and the Sisters of the Community of the Resurrection of Our Lord Grahamstown".

But "tradition is a stream to follow and not a pool to sit beside" and we hope that all the students who pass through the Hall will see them as a symbol of what can be achieved through determination, courage and sacrifice.

The construction of the Stained Glass Windows


Men at work


Outside


Men at work


Mr Hunter Nesbit


Mr Hunter Nesbit



The Windows arrive


Making the frames


Templates are made

Last Modified: Fri, 15 Jul 2011 15:01:06 SAST