Publications (past five years only)
93. Mafa, M.S., Malgas, S. and Pletschke, B.I.* (2021) Feruloyl esterase (FAE-1) sourced from a termite hindgut and GH10 xylanases synergy improves degradation of arabinoxylan. AMB Express 11(1), 21.
92. Revisiting the phenomenon of cellulase action: Not all endo-and exo-cellulase interactions are synergistic. Thoresen, M., Malgas, S., Mafa, M.S. and Pletschke, B.I.* (2021) Catalysts 11(2), 170, pp. 1-13.
91. Mabate, B., Daub, C.D., Malgas, S., Edkins, A.L. and Pletschke, B.I.* (2021). Fucoidan Structure and Its Impact on Glucose Metabolism: Implications for Diabetes and Cancer Therapy. Marine drugs 19(1).
90. Musengi, A., Durrell, K., Prins, A., Khan, N., Agunbiade, M., Kudanga, T., Kirby-McCullough, B., Pletschke, B.I., Burton, S.G., Le Roes-Hill, M.* (2020). Production and characterisation of a novel actinobacterial DyP-type peroxidase and its application in coupling of phenolic monomers. Enzyme and Microbial Technology, 141, art. no. 109654, .
89. Mathibe, B.N., Malgas, S., Radosavljevic, L., Kumar, V., Shukla, P*., Pletschke, B.I.* (2020) Tryptic Mapping Based Structural Insights of Endo-1, 4-β-Xylanase from Thermomyces lanuginosus VAPS-24. Indian Journal of Microbiology, 60 (3), pp. 392-395.
88. Mafa, M.S.*, Malgas, S., Rashamuse, K., Pletschke, B.I. (2020) Delineating functional properties of a cello-oligosaccharide and β-glucan specific cellobiohydrolase (GH5_38): Its synergism with Cel6A and Cel7A for β-(1,3)-(1,4)-glucan degradation. Carbohydrate Research, 495, art. no. 108081.
87. Mathibe, B.N., Malgas, S., Radosavljevic, L., Kumar, V., Shukla, P*., Pletschke, B.I.* (2020) Lignocellulosic pretreatment-mediated phenolic by-products generation and their effect on the inhibition of an endo-1,4-β-xylanase from Thermomyces lanuginosus VAPS-24. 3 Biotech, 10 (8), art. no. 349.
86. Mafa, M.S., Malgas, S., Bhattacharya, A., Rashamuse, K., Pletschke, B.I.* (2020) The Effects of Alkaline Pretreatment on Agricultural Biomasses (Corn Cob and Sweet Sorghum Bagasse) and Their Hydrolysis by a Termite-Derived Enzyme Cocktail. Agronomy, 10 (8), art. no. 1211, .
85. Malgas, S., Rose, S.H., van Zyl, W.H., Pletschke, B.I.* (2020) Enzymatic hydrolysis of softwood derived paper sludge by an in vitro recombinant cellulase cocktail for the production of fermentable sugars. Catalysts, 10 (7), art. no. 775, pp. 1-17.
84. Daub, C.D., Mabate, B., Malgas, S., Pletschke, B.I.* (2020) Fucoidan from Ecklonia maxima is a powerful inhibitor of the diabetes-related enzyme, α-glucosidase. (2020) International Journal of Biological Macromolecules, 151, pp. 412-420.
83. Mkabayi, L., Malgas, S., Wilhelmi, B.S., Pletschke, B.I.* (2020) Evaluating feruloyl esterase-xylanase synergism for hydroxycinnamic acid and xylo-oligosaccharide production from untreated, hydrothermally pre-treated and dilute-acid pre-treated corn cobs. Agronomy, 10 (5), art. no. agronomy10050688
82. Thoresen, M., Malgas, S., Pletschke, B.I.* (2020) Enzyme adsorption-desorption and evaluation of various cellulase recycling strategies for steam pre-treated Eucalyptus enzymatic degradation. Biomass Conversion and Biorefinery. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13399-020-00670-9
81. Nasab, S.B., Homaei, A*., Pletschke, B.I., Salinas-Salazar, C., Casillo-Zacarías, C. and Parra-Saldívar, R. (2020). Marine resources effective in controlling and treating diabetes and its associated complications. Process Biochemistry. Process Biochemistry 92, pp. 313-342.
80. Malgas, S., Kwanya Minghe, V.M. and Pletschke, B.I.* (2020) The effect of hemicellulose on the binding and activity of cellobiohydrolase I, Cel7A, from Trichoderma reesei to cellulose. Cellulose, 27 (2), pp. 781-797.
79. Mafa, M.S., Dirr , H.W., Malgas, S., Krause, RWK., Rashamuse, K. and Pletschke, B.I.* (2020) A novel dimeric exoglucanase (GH5_38): Biochemical and structural characterisation towards its application in alkyl cellobioside synthesis. Molecules 2020, 25, 746; doi:10.3390/molecules25030746
78. Adeoyo, O.R., Pletschke, B.I., Dames, J.F. (2019) Molecular identification and antibacterial properties of an ericoid associated mycorrhizal fungus. BMC Microbiology, 19 (1), art. no. 178.
77. Malgas, S. and Pletschke, B.I.* (2019) The effect of an oligosaccharide reducing-end xylanase, BhRex8A, on the synergistic degradation of xylan backbones by an optimised xylanolytic enzyme cocktail. Enzyme and Microbial Technology 122: 74–81.
76. Malgas, S., Mafa, M.S., Mkabayi, L., Pletschke, B.I.* (2019) A mini review of xylanolytic enzymes with regards to their synergistic interactions during hetero-xylan degradation. World Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology 35(12),187.
75. De Almeida, L.K., Pletschke, B.I. and Frost, C.L.* (2018) Moderate levels of glyphosate and its formulations vary in their cytotoxicity and genotoxicity in whole blood model and in human cell lines with different estrogen receptor status. 3 Biotech 8:438.
74. Adeoyo,O.R., Pletschke, B.I. and Dames, J.F.* (2018) Purification and characterization of an amyloglucosidase from an ericoid mycorrhizal fungus (Leohumicola incrustata). AMB Express 8:154
73. Dubey, K.K, Luke, G.A., Knox, C., Kumar, P., Pletschke, B.I., Singh, P.K. and Shukla, P*. (2018) Vaccine and antibody production in plants: developments and computational tools. Briefings in Functional Genomics, DOI:10.1093/bfgp/ely020.
72. Himmel, M.E., Abbas, C.A., Baker, J.O., Bayer, E.A., Bomble, Y.J., Brunecky,R., Chen, X., Felby, C., Jeoh, T., Kumar, R., McCleary, B.V., Pletschke, B.I., Tucker, M.P., Wyman, C.E. and Decker, S.R.* (2017) Undefined cellulase formulations hinder scientific reproducibility. Biotechnology for Biofuels 10:283. DOI: 10.1186/s13068-017-0974-y
71. Malgas, S., Chandra, R., Van Dyk, J.S., Saddler, J.N., Pletschke, B.I.* (2017) Formulation of an optimized synergistic enzyme cocktail, HoloMix, for effective degradation of various pre-treated hardwoods. Bioresource Technology. Available on-line. DOI: 10.1016/j.biortech.2017.08.186
70. Malgas, S., Thoresen, M., van Dyk, J.S., Pletschke, B.I.* (2017) Time dependence of enzyme synergism during the degradation of model and natural lignocellulosic substrates. Enzyme and Microbial Technology, 103, pp. 1-11. DOI: 0.1016/j.enzmictec.2017.04.007
69. Nel*, A., Pletschke, B.I., and Britz, P.J. (2017) The effect of low-level kelp supplementation on digestive enzyme activity levels in cultured abalone Haliotis midae fed formulated feeds. African Journal of Marine Science, 39(2), 175-182. DOI:10.2989/1814232X.2017.1329166
68. Nel*, A., Pletschke, B.I., Jones, C.L.W., Kemp, J. and Robinson, G. and Britz, P.J. (2017) Effects of kelp Ecklonia maxima inclusion in formulated feed on the growth, feed utilisation and gut microbiota of South African abalone Haliotis midae. African Journal of Marine Science 39(2), 183-192. DOI: 10.2989/1814232X.2017.1338203
67. Gama, R., Van Dyk, J.S., Burton, M.H., Pletschke, B.I.* (2017) Using an artificial neural network to predict the optimal conditions for enzymatic hydrolysis of apple pomace (2017) 3 Biotech, 7 (2), art. no. 138, . DOI: 10.1007/s13205-017-0754-1
66. Adeoyo, O.R., Pletschke, B.I., Dames, J.F.* (2017) Improved endoglucanase production and mycelial biomass of some ericoid fungi. AMB Express, 7 (1), art. no. 15. DOI: 10.1186/s13568-016-0312-y
65. Soni, H., Rawat, H.K., Pletschke, B.I., Kango, N.* (2016) Purification and characterization of β-mannanase from Aspergillus terreus and its applicability in depolymerization of mannans and saccharification of lignocellulosic biomass. (2016) 3 Biotech, 6 (2), art. no. 136.
64. Pletschke, B.I.*, Malgas, S., Bhattacharya, A., Bhattacharya-Shrivastava, A., Clarke, M.D., Mafa, M.S., Morake, S., Thoresen, M. Enzyme synergism: A powerful tool for decreasing enzyme loading for efficient biomass conversion (2016) European Biomass Conference and Exhibition Proceedings, 2016 (24thEUBCE), pp. 68-82.
63. Kuhad, R.C.*, Deswal, D., Sharma, S., Bhattacharya, A., Jain, K.K., Kaur, A., Pletschke, B.I., Singh, A., Karp, M. (2016) Revisiting cellulase production and redefining current strategies based on major challenges. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 55, pp. 249-272.
62. Malgas, S., Susan Van Dyk, J., Abboo, S., Pletschke, B.I.* (2016) The inhibitory effects of various substrate pre-treatment by-products and wash liquors on mannanolytic enzymes. Journal of Molecular Catalysis B: Enzymatic, 123, pp. 132-140.
Last Modified: Tue, 30 Mar 2021 14:30:54 SAST