Grahamstown Training College Archive Collection
The Grahamstown Training College Archive Collection was deposited in the Cory Library in 1976/7 by the last Principal, Mrs BA Wright (nee Pilson), after the final closure of this educational institution in 1975.
The history of "TC" as it was affectionately known by generations of students, is inextricably linked to the Sisters of the Community of the Resurrection of our Lord, most especially to the College founder, Mother Cecile. It was she who obtained permission from the Cape Department of Education to start the 'Grahamstown Training School' in 1894, with a total of 8 pupil-teachers and a staff of 4.
From such humble beginnings the College grew to provide roughly 8000 teachers for Southern Africa and beyond, in the 81 years of it's existence.
The collection contains a range of official papers and correspondence, admission registers and mark schedules, photographs, books and pamphlets, as well as memorabilia donated subsequently by past students of the Grahamstown Training College.
Last Modified: Thu, 22 Jun 2017 16:02:47 SAST