Recycling at Rhodes
Recycling off-campus (see below)
What to Recycle
This is the last option in the 'waste hierarchy', delaying the entry of waste into the system.
- Follow the links to find out how to deal with garden waste, food waste and other biodegradable matter: Organic and Worm farming.
- Please ensure safe disposal of chemicals, e-waste (old electrical equipment, tablets, computers, etc), medical/pharmaceutical waste, cigarettes, sharps, printer cartridges, used oil, etc). Hazmat
2-bag system at RU: **PLEASE DO NOT BRING YOUR WASTE FROM HOME TO CAMPUS**
- CLEAR BAGS = recyclable materials
- BLUE BAGS = disposable waste
2-bag system in Town: **PLEASE SEPARATE YOUR WASTE AS REQUESTED**
FREE RECYCLING COLLECTION by Masahlule Recycling. Put out CLEAR/ORANGE bags with CLEAN/DRY recyclable waste early on the same day as your rubbish collection. More info: Simpiwe 63 513 6921 (WhatsApp) or Philasande 082 327 2022 (sms).
GHT movers: 20 New Street. More info: Pieter Burger 083 226 9654, ghtholdings(at)gmail.com
Grahamstown Recycling: 13 Scholand Street (industrial area). More info: Chris Smith 082 657 4719, chris.recycle(at)gmail.com .
IWARS: one day will have Buy-Back Centres in Grahamstown. Already has these in Port Alfred and Kenton. More info: info(at)iwars.co.za, Mark 081 792 3884 (Pt Alfred) or visit IWARS.
Metal Master: 2 Cloncore St (near Metro Cash & Carry), Grahamstown. More info: Butch Richardson, 082 932 6844 / 046 622 3249 / butch(at)albanynet.co.za or wanstonfield(at)yahoo.com
- Recyc Ght: Drop at corner Jarvis Street and Orsmond Terrace, or call to collect for free. More info: Len Bodill, 078 661 9451, recycght(at)gmail.com
SPCA: Grahamstown SPCA takes in recyclable materials, including plastic, paper, cardboard, metal and glass bottles. Please ensure that these materials are clean and dry, and glass separate from the rest of the materials. Recycling materials must be dropped off at the SPCA. Funds that the SPCA receives for these materials go back into keeping the centre afloat. More info: spcaght(at)gmail.com or visit their Facebook page.
Return to Waste management
Go to the Rhodes University ENVIRONMENT front page. Suggestions/Questions? Contact environment(at)ru.ac.za
Last Modified: Mon, 28 May 2018 19:53:16 SAST