Message from the Dean: Professor Di Wilmot
Established in 1913, the Rhodes University Education Department, offered an initial teacher education qualification for students wishing to teach in secondary schools. One hundred and six years later, the academic endeavour has expanded and diversified, with the Education Department now forming the core of an Education Faculty which offers a range of qualifications within and across four broad education sectors, namely higher education, formal schooling, early childhood education and education and training development.
The Education Faculty consists of the:
- Education Department (which includes the Environmental Learning and Research Centre [ELRC]) is host to three SARChi Chairs, namely the
- Mathematics Education Chair
- South African Numeracy Chair and
- Global Change and Social Learning Systems Chair.
- Centre for Higher Education Research, Teaching and Learning (CHERTL)
- Rhodes University Mathematics Education Project(RUMEP)
- Institute for the Study of Englishes in Africa (ISEA)
- Centre for Social Development (CSD)
The Faculty is home to several centres of excellence in research and in-service teacher community outreach initiatives. These include three productive research Chairs, a team reasearching educational leadership and management and we are building capacity in language and literacy education, science and geography.
- Professor E Rosenberg - Murray and Robers Chair of Environment and Sustainability Education
- Professor Marc Schafer - SARChI Maths Education
- Professor M Graven - SARChI South African Numeracy
- Distinguished Professor H Lotz-Sisitka - SARChI Global Change and Social Learning Systems
Last Modified: Mon, 07 Oct 2019 09:57:51 SAST