Dr Afsoon Kazerouni
Sedimentology and Hydrogeology
PhD: Aarhus University (Denmark)
MSc: Tehran Azad University (Iran)
B.Sc.: Shiraz University(Iran)
p: +27 (0)46 603 8618
- Provenance analysis of heavy minerals as indicators in clastic sedimentary rocks in Gemsbok Sub-basin south of the Kalahari Karoo Basin-South Africa.
- Sedimentological/hydrogeological research, the Palaeozoic Cape and the Mesozoic Karoo Supergroups, and the Jurassic/Cretaceous Algoa Basin.
- Influence of diagenetic processes on the exchange of trace contaminants at the sediment-water interface Karoo Basin-South Africa.
- Sedimentology (GLG102, GLG202 and GLG301)
- Hydrogeology and Groundwater (GLG202)
- Field skills for 2nd year students (with Prof Steve Prevec)
- Sedimentary Basin Analysis (BSc Honours)
PREVIOUS ACADEMIC AND INDUSTRIAL EMPLOYMENT
- Post-doctoral Research Associate: Department of Geosciences. Texas Tech University-Lubbock, Texas, USA, Heavy mineral provenance study based on U-Pb dating of detrital zircons by using LA-ICP-MS. funded by the Petroleum Infrastructure Programme (PIP)-Ireland (December 2015-August 2016).
- Part-time Earth Science Researcher: Ton Duc Thang University. Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam-Environmental Engineering and Management Research Group (EEM-RG). (July -October 2016).
- Geologist and Project Coordinator: COWI. Lyngby, Denmark (March - July 2014).
- Geologist and Project Manager-The Danish Ministry of Environment, Nature Agency. Odense, Denmark (September 2013 - February 2014).
- Geologist Touch Water Ltd: Silkeborg, Denmark (May - August 2013).
- Postdoctorate researcher Sedimentary Geology / Hydrogeology / Geochemistry: Awarded the Young Scientist Postdoctoral Fellowship. Palacký University, Prague, Czech Republic (April 2013).
- Sedimentary Geologist, Diagenesis researcher: GEUS (Geological Survey of Denmark and Greenland). Copenhagen, Denmark (May 2011 - May 2012).
- Undergraduate and postgraduate teaching assistant in Sedimentary Geology and Petrology: Aarhus University, Aarhus, Denmark (2007 - 2011).
Peer-reviewed publications and conference proceedings
- Kazerouni, A.M. (2016) Implication of heavy mineral distribution based on U-Pb dating of detrital zircons by using LA-ICP-MS as a tool for provenance analyses in sediments of Jurassic/Cretaceous paleodrainage connections between Porcupine–Rockall-Orphan–Flemish Pass (PROF) Basins. Proceedings of the 6th International Maar Conference -Maar and Environment Change, Changchun, Jilin Province, China, July 30 – August 3, 2016.
- Kazerouni, A.M., Poulsen, M.L.K., Friis, H., Svendsen, J.B., Hansen, J.P.V. (2013) Illite/smectite transformation in detrital glaucony during burial diagenesis of sandstone: Implications for reservoir properties. A study from Siri Canyon - Danish North Sea. Sedimentology, 60 (3), 679-692.
- Kazerouni, A.M., Friis, H., Svendsen, J.B., Weibel, R. (2011) Heavy mineral sorting in downwards injected Palaeocene sandstone, Siri Canyon, Danish North Sea. Sedimentary Geology, 236 (3/4), 279-285.
- Nielsen,M. T., Kazerouni, A.M., Redjehimi, Friis, H. (2010) Diagenesis of Paleocene phosphatic deposits in Djebel Onk, Algeria. Proceedings of the International Applied Geological Congress, Department of Geology, Islamic Azad University-Mashhad Branch, Iran, 26-28 April 2010.
- Weibel, R., Friis, H., Kazerouni, A.M., Svendsen, J.B., Stokkendal, J., Poulsen, M.L.K. (2009) Development of diagenetic silica and quartz morphologies and its influence on cementation - Examples from the Siri Canyon, Danish North Sea. Sedimentary Geology, 228 (3/4), 151-170.
Book chapters and technical reports
- Kazerouni, A.M., Friis, H., Hansen, J.P.V. (2013) Chapter 4. Diagenetic Chlorite: Example of an Intra Sandstone Resevoir Seal – From Palaeocene Tyr Member Sandstone, Siri Canyon, Danish North Sea. In: Kazerouni, A.M. (Editor) Sandstone: Geochemistry, uses and environmental impact. Nova Publication, New York, pp. 257-270.
- Kazerouni, A.M., Friis, H., Svendsen, J.B., Nielsen, O.B. (2013) Chapter 5. The effect of burial on clay mineral diagenesis and quartz cementation in mudstones - examples from the Siri Canyon, Danish North Sea. In: Kazerouni, A.M. (Editor) Sandston: Geochemistry, uses and environmental impact. Nova Publication, New York, pp. 271-295.
- Kazerouni, A.M. (2011) Mineralogy, diagenesis, sandstone provenance and chemostratigraphy in Brorson Halvø core well in northeast Greenland. National Geological Survey of Denmark and Greenland - GEUS Technical Report, pp. 79-165.
- Kazerouni, A.M. (2011) Mineralogy, diagenesis, sandstone provenance and chemostratigraphy in Store Koldewaycore well in northeast Greenland. National Geological Survey of Denmark and Greenland- GEUS Technical Report, pp. 149-173.
Recent Conference Presentations
- Kazerouni, A.M., Reaching beyond skills to cognitive development in teaching quantitative thinking with MATLAB- current generation of geology students learning programming, New Perspectives in Science Education, Florence, Italy, March 2018.
- Samuel, I.A., Kazerouni, A.M., Kaolinite Mineral uses for a sustainable future: An industrial perspective-Grahamstown, South Africa, Conference and Exhibition of the Nigerian Mining & Geosciences Society (NMGS), Oral presentation, March 2018.
- Kazerouni, A.M., Extending the Life of Reservoirs: Sustainable Sediment Management for Dams and Run-of-River Hydropower, Eighth Interdisciplinary Postgraduate Conference (IPGC), Rhodes University, Oral presentation, September 2017.
- Kazerouni, A.M., Pyrite Formation in the Water Column and Sediments in an Alkaline, Saline, Meteorite Crater Lake Tswaing, South Africa, Goldsmidth Conference, France, Poster presentation, August 2017.
- Kazerouni, A.M., GIS-application for environmental management in mining areas on the example of the Molteno coalfield, Indwe, Eastern Cape, 17 international of Multidisciplinary Scientific GeoConference SGEM, Varna city, Bulgaria, Oral presentation, July 2017.
- Kazerouni, A.M., Risk assessment review of heavy metal accumulations (Cu, CR, Ni, Pb and Zn) in S. Brevis-Bushehr Area, 17 international of Multidisciplinary Scientific GeoConference SGEM, Varna city, Bulgaria, Oral presentation, July 2017.
- Kazerouni, A.M., Diagenetic controls on development of carbonate pore systems in Upper Elliot Formation, Karoo Supergroup (South Africa) Mountjoy Carbonate Research Conference, Austin, Texas, Poster presentation, June 2017.
- Kazerouni, A.M., Groundwater recharge estimation in aquifer systems with a case study north of Grahamstown, Eastern Cape CGS conference, Silverton, Pretoria, Oral presentation, March 2017.
CURRENT POSTGRADUATE STUDENTS
- Ms. Anelisa Hermans (BSc Honours-2018)
- Mr. Africa Khamusi Ramuima (BSc Honours -2018)
- Ms Mr Sanelisiwe Simlidile Sikhakhane (BSc Honours student): Project title: Petrological characterization of middle Permian Abrahamskraal Formation, lower Beaufort Group (southern Karoo Supergroup) in Merweville, South Africa.
- Ibukunoluwa Samuel Adeola (Ph.D. student) -Project title: Geochemical characteristics and selected physical properties of clay minerals in kaolinitic clay deposits in the Eastern Cape, South Africa.
Last Modified: Wed, 14 Mar 2018 13:08:33 SAST