Dr Afsoon Kazerouni
Sedimentology and Hydrogeology
PhD: Aarhus University (Denmark)
MSc: Tehran North Azad University (Iran)
B.Sc.: Shiraz University (Iran)
p: +27 (0)46 603 8618
- Sedimentology and stratigraphy
- Basin analysis
- Stable isotope geochemistry
- Earth surface processes
- Ground Water Impacts from Hydro Fracking
- Ground Water Resource Evaluation
- Impacts to Water Resources from Unconventional Fuels Development
- Sedimentology (GLG102, GLG202 and GLG301)
- Hydrogeology and Groundwater (GLG202)
- Field skills for 2nd year students (with Prof Steve Prevec)
- Sedimentary Basin Analysis (BSc Honours)
PREVIOUS ACADEMIC AND INDUSTRIAL EMPLOYMENT
- Visiting lecturer for Honours Sedimentology course -Nelson Mandela University, Geology Department- Port Elizabeth, South Africa, July-August 2017.
- Post-doctoral Research Associate: Department of Geosciences. Texas Tech University-Lubbock, Texas, USA, Heavy mineral provenance study based on U-Pb dating of detrital zircons by using LA-ICP-MS. funded by the Petroleum Infrastructure Programme (PIP)-Ireland (December 2015-August 2016).
- Part-time Earth Science Researcher: Ton Duc Thang University. Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam-Environmental Engineering and Management Research Group (EEM-RG). (July -October 2016).
- Geologist and Project Coordinator: COWI. Lyngby, Denmark (March - July 2014).
- Geologist and Project Manager-The Danish Ministry of Environment, Nature Agency. Odense, Denmark (September 2013 - February 2014).
- Geologist Touch Water Ltd: Silkeborg, Denmark (May - August 2013).
- Postdoctorate researcher Sedimentary Geology / Hydrogeology / Geochemistry: Awarded the Young Scientist Postdoctoral Fellowship. Palacký University, Prague, Czech Republic (April-May 2013).
- Sedimentary Geologist, Diagenesis researcher: GEUS (Geological Survey of Denmark and Greenland). Copenhagen, Denmark (May 2011 - May 2012).
- Undergraduate and postgraduate teaching assistant in Sedimentary Geology and Petrology: Aarhus University, Aarhus, Denmark (September 2007-March 2011).
Peer-reviewed publications and conference proceedings
- Kazerouni, A.M., (2017) GIS-application for environmental management in mining areas on the example of the Molteno coalfield, Indwe, Eastern Cape, 17 international of Multidisciplinary Scientific GeoConference SGEM, Varna city, Bulgaria, SGEM2017 Conference Proceedings, ISBN 978-619-7408-03-4 / ISSN 1314-2704, Vol. 17, Issue 23, 535-540 pp, DOI: 10.5593/sgem2017/23/S11.066.
- Kazerouni, A.M., (2017) Risk assessment review of heavy metal accumulations (Cu, CR, Ni, Pb and Zn) in S. Brevis-Bushehr Area, 17 international of Multidisciplinary Scientific GeoConference SGEM, Varna city, Bulgaria, SGEM2017 Conference Proceedings, ISBN 978-619-7408-08-9 / ISSN 1314-2704, Vol. 17, Issue 51, 845-852 pp, DOI: 10.5593/sgem2017/51/S20.110.
- Kazerouni, A.M. (2016) Implication of heavy mineral distribution based on U-Pb dating of detrital zircons by using LA-ICP-MS as a tool for provenance analyses in sediments of Jurassic/Cretaceous paleodrainage connections between Porcupine–Rockall-Orphan–Flemish Pass (PROF) Basins. Proceedings of the 6th International Maar Conference -Maar and Environment Change,Changchun, Jilin Province, China, July 30 – August 3, 2016.
- Kazerouni, A.M., Poulsen, M.L.K., Friis, H., Svendsen, J.B., Hansen, J.P.V. (2013) Illite/smectite transformation in detrital glaucony during burial diagenesis of sandstone: Implications for reservoir properties. A study from Siri Canyon - Danish North Sea. Sedimentology, 60 (3), 679-692.
- Kazerouni, A.M., Friis, H., Svendsen, J.B., Weibel, R. (2011) Heavy mineral sorting in downwards injected Palaeocene sandstone, Siri Canyon, Danish North Sea. Sedimentary Geology, 236 (3/4), 279-285.
- Nielsen,M. T., Kazerouni, A.M., Redjehimi, Friis, H. (2010) Diagenesis of Paleocene phosphatic deposits in Djebel Onk, Algeria. Proceedings of the International Applied Geological Congress, Department of Geology, Islamic Azad University-Mashhad Branch, Iran, 26-28 April 2010.
- Weibel, R., Friis, H., Kazerouni, A.M., Svendsen, J.B., Stokkendal, J., Poulsen, M.L.K. (2009) Development of diagenetic silica and quartz morphologies and its influence on cementation - Examples from the Siri Canyon, Danish North Sea. Sedimentary Geology, 228 (3/4), 151-170.
Book chapters and technical reports
- Kazerouni, A.M., Sandstone: Geochemistry, Uses Environmental Impact (Hardback), (2013),Published by Nova Science Publishers Inc, United States, ISBN 10: 1629483826 ISBN 13: 9781629483825.
- Kazerouni, A.M., Friis, H., Hansen, J.P.V. (2013) Chapter 4. Diagenetic Chlorite: Example of an Intra Sandstone Resevoir Seal – From Palaeocene Tyr Member Sandstone, Siri Canyon, Danish North Sea. In: Kazerouni, A.M. (Editor) Sandstone: Geochemistry, uses and environmental impact. Nova Publication, New York, pp. 257-270.
- Kazerouni, A.M., Friis, H., Svendsen, J.B., Nielsen, O.B. (2013) Chapter 5. The effect of burial on clay mineral diagenesis and quartz cementation in mudstones - examples from the Siri Canyon, Danish North Sea. In: Kazerouni, A.M. (Editor) Sandston: Geochemistry, uses and environmental impact. Nova Publication, New York, pp. 271-295.
- Kazerouni, A.M. (2011) Mineralogy, diagenesis, sandstone provenance and chemostratigraphy in Brorson Halvø core well in northeast Greenland. National Geological Survey of Denmark and Greenland - GEUS Technical Report, pp. 79-165.
- Kazerouni, A.M. (2011) Mineralogy, diagenesis, sandstone provenance and chemostratigraphy in Store Koldewaycore well in northeast Greenland. National Geological Survey of Denmark and Greenland- GEUS Technical Report, pp. 149-173.
Recent Conference Presentations
- Kazerouni, A.M., Technology Advances and Adaptation for Diminishing Risks to Water Resource from Unconventional Gas Exploration, AAPG International Conference and Exhibition, Cape Town, South Africa, November 2018.
- Kazerouni, A.M., Levels of trace metals (Cd, Pb, Co, Zn, Cu and Ni) determined in water and sediment from the Msunduzi River and its effects on an irrigated farmland, Geocongress-2018, Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa, July 2018.
- Kazerouni, A.M., Deep-water Sedimentary Processes and Systems: The Role of Internal vs. External Controls on Lithology Distribution and Stratigraphy in Caspian Sea, Geocongress-2018, Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa, July 2018.
- Kazerouni, A.M., Best Environmental Practices in Eastern Cape Mining Sector and Challenges in remediation of mine waste -solving ways and means, Digitalization in Mining Conference 2018‘ Mining business make-over –Exploiting the digital revolution’, Sunninghill, South Africa, Poster Presentation, June 2018.
- Kazerouni, A.M., Living on the Edge: New Course Development- Building Interdisciplinary Programs for Broadening Student Exposure to Sustainability, Oral presentation, Research in sustainability:Highlights from a Campus colloquium , Rhodes University, Grahamstown, South Africa, March 2018
- Kazerouni, A.M., Reaching beyond skills to cognitive development in teaching quantitative thinking with MATLAB- current generation of geology students learning programming, New Perspectives in Science Education, Florence, Italy, Oral presentation, March 2018.
- Samuel, I.A., Kazerouni, A.M., Kaolinite Mineral uses for a sustainable future: An industrial perspective-Grahamstown, South Africa, Conference and Exhibition of the Nigerian Mining & Geosciences Society (NMGS), Oral presentation, Nigeria, March 2018.
- Kazerouni, A.M., Extending the Life of Reservoirs: Sustainable Sediment Management for Dams and Run-of-River Hydropower, Eighth Interdisciplinary Postgraduate Conference (IPGC), Rhodes University, Oral presentation, September 2017.
- Kazerouni, A.M., Pyrite Formation in the Water Column and Sediments in an Alkaline, Saline, Meteorite Crater Lake Tswaing, South Africa, Goldsmidth Conference, France, Poster presentation, August 2017.
- Kazerouni, A.M., Diagenetic controls on development of carbonate pore systems in Upper Elliot Formation, Karoo Supergroup (South Africa) Mountjoy Carbonate Research Conference, Austin, Texas, Poster presentation, June 2017.
- Kazerouni, A.M., Groundwater recharge estimation in aquifer systems with a case study north of Grahamstown, Eastern Cape CGS conference, Silverton, Pretoria, Oral presentation, March 2017.
Current Postgraduate Students
- Ms. Anelisa Hermans (BSc Honours student-2018)-Project: Hydrogeological and hydrochemical assessment of Upper Kowie River and its urban catchment, Port Alfred-Eastern Cape.
- Mr. Africa Khamusi Ramuima (BSc Honours student-2018)-Project: Groundwater recharge dynamics and geohydrological investigation in Kenton-On-Sea-Eastern Cape.
- Ms. Sanelisiwe Simlidile Sikhakhane (BSc Honours student-2017)-Project: Petrological characterization of middle Permian Abrahamskraal Formation, lower Beaufort Group (southern Karoo Supergroup) in Merweville, South Africa.
- Mr. Ibukunoluwa Samuel Adeola (Ph.D. student 2017-2020)-Project: Geochemical characteristics and selected physical properties of clay minerals in kaolinitic clay deposits in the Eastern Cape, South Africa.
- Ms. Monica Correia (Ph.D. student 2018-2021)-Project: Improving the understanding of the Breede Gouitz catchment area water resources contribution to streamflow from various sources and climate change impacts.
Last Modified: Fri, 01 Jun 2018 19:03:04 SAST