Information for New Students
Things you might want to bring with you to Residence:
This list is not prescriptive but suggestions from experienced Wardens and Students. Please note all of this can be bought in Grahamstown and you don’t have to bring it from home.
Each Residence has a microwave oven, fridges, tumble driers and washing machines for the Residents at no extra charge.
- Tray for kettle
- Large Water Bottle (optional)
- Drinking mug, glasses and cereal bowl
- Microwave dish
- Fork, knife, spoons, can/bottle opener
- Small cooler bag with zip and padlock (to store foodstuff in the communal fridge)
- Toiletries and towels
- Laundry basket or bag
- Laundry detergent (for cold water washing)
- Pegs and clothes hangers
- Iron (there are ironing boards in the residences)
- Alarm clock
- Radio/stereo (with headphones so as not to disturb your fellow residents)
- Hangers for clothes
- Good quality multiplug extension
- Exam pads and clipboard
- Laptop/Computer (there are computers based in the study rooms/common rooms in each residence as well as computer labs on campus)
- Torch (to help if there is loadshedding)
Rhodes University provides bed linen but you may bring your own (you will be responsible for the laundering). We provide a duvet & duvet inner, mattress cover, sheet, two pillows & pillowcases and a blanket. Any Rhodes University issued bedding is washed and rotated weekly by our Housekeeping staff. You may bring your own linen, but then you will be responsible for the laundering. They are all single beds.
Students need to pack up their rooms completely for most of the vacations as the University uses the Residences for the Grahamstown National Arts Festival, and Conferences, etc. We have Box Rooms in each Residence where students may store their belongings during the vacation. Please see the Box Room Protocol.
Things not to bring:
Certain household items pose a fire hazard when utilized in buildings inhabited by many people. Do not bring extra furniture, all student rooms in our Residences are equipped with basic furniture - a single bed, cupboard, desk, chair, wastepaper bin and a water bucket.
Students are not allowed these things in the Residence:
- Air conditioners
- Electric blankets
- Extension cords with joins in them
- Coffee Makers
- Cooking Appliances, e.g:
- Hot Plates
- Toasters/Toaster Ovens
- Snackwich Toaster or Waffle Maker
- Electric Frying Pan or Grill
- Microwave Ovens
Last Modified: Fri, 14 Apr 2023 08:33:12 SAST