|DATE OF BIRTH
||19 April 1972
||(046) 622 8012 & (084) 722 3458
||12 Cromwell St., Grahamstown 6139
A committed well educated post graduate with 20 years experience in working on environmental and sustainability issues. I have a strong ethical commitment to environmental and social responsibility. Skills include management, research, consultancy, IT and working with public and professionals. South African permanent resident .
University of Bradford
- MSc Environmental Monitoring (1995-1996 )
University of Leeds
Ulverston Victoria High School
Rhodes University (2001-15)
Institute of Water Research (current):
- Team leader of the Makana case study component of the Towards a New Paradigm Project, funded by the WRC. The research involves investigating innovative methodologies to manage water resource management challenges
Environmental Science (current):
- Project manager for Sandisa Imbewu funded “People, ecosystem services and change: addressing drivers, impacts, vulnerability and responses in Southern Africa (PESC).”
- Work has also includedlecturing on components of Environmental Science courses, and developing social assessment processes for carbon sequestration projects.
- Consultancies undertaken for Social Impact Assessment processes, one for a land restoration project in the Eastern Cape and on for a proposed Forestry plantation in Mozambique.
Institute for Social and Economic Research (ISER), Research Associate:
- Co-author of report into the economic potential of tourism in Makana Municipality
- Co-author of resource documents produced to assist a forum of private game reserves in the Eastern Cape. The first looked at their legal obligations regarding ex-farm workers and on how to improve opportunities for ex-farm workers. The second considered the impact of HIV/AIDS in the sector and suggested appropriate responses
- Joint study with Fort Hare ISER on the energy use of SMMEs in the Eastern Cape
- Feasibility studies carried out for Department of Environment poverty alleviation projects.
- Co-author of research report relating to natural resource usage at Dwesa-Cwebe, co-author of Commission for the Restitution of Land Rights case study of the Dwesa-Cwebe land claim and co-author of ‘State of the Eastern Cape’ book chapter on the frustrations of development at Dwesa-Cwebe.
- Research completed for skills Eastern Cape provincial skills study.
- Social Impact Assessment carried out for proposed sewage pipeline in East London.
- Course materials developed for a SADC International Certificate in Environmental Education, to consider potential examples of Sustainable Development.
- Orientation materials developed for case study for visiting African professors.
- Masters students briefed on EIA legislation.
- Co-ordinating the programme for the Environmental Management for Sustainable Unviversities Conference, that linked with the Earth Summit.
Makana Municipality and Local Environment Action Plan (2001-2005)
I assisted the municipality on a voluntary basis to develop the environment related component of their Integrated Development Plan. I was part of a consortium that developed the Local Environment Action Plan for the Municipality.
Umthathi Traning Agency (2001-3):
I provided assistance to this community development NGO on Programme’s Management, fund raising and in preparing annual reports.
Local Agenda 21 Unit, Bradford Council (1997-2000) : Sustainable initiatives officer
- Report developed to assist Park Lane Further Education College to showcase Renewable Energy technologies and to incorporate Environmental issues into the curriculum
- I managed a local ‘Community Garden’ that provided training opportunites for the long-term unemployed
- Initiating a district wide Sustainable Farmland Management Group to develop plans to tackle Environmental issues relating to agriculture
- I developed a sustainability Management Plan for the Municipal Social Services department.
- Report completed on the feasibility of ‘local produce markets’ in the district
- Training - included facilitating environmental solutions, assertiveness and managing people’s performance.
- Waste management consultancy for ‘Save Waste and Prosper’, UK
- Developing sustainable tourism initiatives for ‘International Friends of Nature’ in Vienna, Austria
- Providing information and advice on energy conservation and environmental issues at the ‘Leeds Energy and Environment centre’
Presentations at over 10 conferences, symposiums and workshops, over 10 research reports, 3 book chapters, 2 journal and working paper publications, 3 DVD documentaries and 3 theatre scripts.
- Knowledge of IT packages, fluent French and German spoken and a full clean driving licence.
- While in South Africa I have undertaken basic courses in Zulu and Xhosa
INTERESTS AND LEISURE ACTIVITIES
- Travelling: I have enjoyed opportunities to travel in both Southern Africa and Europe, including participating in cultural exchange programmes. Outdoor activities: I enjoy exportunities to enjoy nature while cycling or walking.
Dr Sheona Shackleton: firstname.lastname@example.org, 046 603 7009
Prof Tally Palmer: email@example.com, 046 603 8532
Last Modified: Thu, 17 Sep 2015 16:36:45 SAST